Blank Screen when accessing Assignments Moodle 2.6

Blank Screen when accessing Assignments Moodle 2.6

by Kyle Smith -
Number of replies: 8

Hi All,

I've upgraded to Moodle 2.6 today and am having an issue whereby if I try and access the view/mark assignments I receive a blank page.  Turning on debugging reveals this error message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class FPDI in /home/user/public_html/learning/moodle/mod/assign/feedback/editpdf/fpdi/fpdi.php on line 0

I was also having an issue creating assignments and was getting a blank page as well - I disabled the new PDF annotator plugin which comes with 2.6 which seems to have fixed that issue, but still having issues accessing existing assignments.

Suggestions on a solution would be fantastic!

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kyle Smith

Re: Blank Screen when accessing Assignments Moodle 2.6

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you have the older PDF feedback plugin installed as well? If you do, have you made sure you have the latest version installed (which makes allowances for the core editpdf plugin and should not clash with it in this way)?

Other than that, do you have any other plugins on the site that include a copy of the FPDI library (search the code for another file called 'fpdi.php')?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Michael Haskell -

I've encountered a situation where an instructor is unable to grade a student's submission. When the instructor or I click on the link to grade the submission the browser spins, then after 30 seconds a 500 error is thrown and a blank screen appears. 

The problem appears to be a 700 page PDF submission. 

I've checked the logs for errors and enabled debug info for only my user I'd, but nothing displays. 

Turning off PDF annotation site-wide fixes the problem, but turns off the feature for everybody. 

Is there a recommended version of gs to use?

Is there a way to increase the timeout for PDF annotator?

Is there a way to turn on debugging for PDF annotator?

Is there a way to disable PDF annotator for only a single submission?

The current plan is to reproduce the problem on another server, then upgrade Ghostscript. 

Have others run onto this problem or found a fix? Thanks!

In reply to Michael Haskell

by ben reynolds -

Sorry not to have help for you. I just want to marvel at a 700 page .pdf. What could possibly be in it?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is it my PDF plugin, or the standard PDF annotation feature in Moodle core?

In reply to Davo Smith

by Michael Haskell -

Davo,

It is the standard PDF annotation feature in Moodle 2.6.5 not the PDF plugin which we have never used. I also just timed it and the 500 error is thrown exactly 30 seconds after clicking on the grade link. I've been able to replicate it on another server. I'm going to upgrade from gs 8.70 to the 9 series if possible and see if that fixes it.

by Michael Haskell -

Installing the latest version of ghostscript didn't resolve the problem ( Ghostscript 9.15 Source ).

Increasing PHP's max_execution time from 30 sec to 120 sec solved the problem.

by Adam Barbary -

A bit late to the party, but just encountered this within Moodle 2.7.3

A multimedia subject where students have included rather large images inside a single PDF submission. I think the most annoying part is the fact that we cannot access the grading area at all, let alone once the PDF button is pressed. I will look into the time out, but currently the only way to access the grading was to disable the PDF annotate at the site level, or log in as the student and delete the submission.

Have voted and am watching your bug tracker entry.