Languages broken out into separate CVS module?

Languages broken out into separate CVS module?

by Brian Koontz -
Number of replies: 11
Are there any plans to break out the language files into separate CVS modules?  At 63M, this is by far the largest part of the code base.  I realize there is probably some CVS voodoo that can be done to retrieve only the languages of interest, but it seems like overkill to distribute all translations as part of the "base" Moodle install.

--Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Koontz

Re: Languages broken out into separate CVS module?

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Brian Koontz -
Dan, thanks for the links.

From what I can tell, you and Martin are against splitting out languages. But it seems like there was some valid rationale presented for doing so, despite the reservations to the contrary. It's always easy to take the extreme position that it's difficult to draw the line between what should be included in a "Moodle Lite" version as a means to argue away the need for languages in a separate download, but we <i>are</i> talking about a 63M portion of Moodle, which is a good chunk of HD real estate. I'm not aware of any other "optional" part of Moodle that is of such a size.

At any rate, there was mention of a "nolang" Moodle option. How is this downloaded and updated via CVS? Is there a separate CVS module for the nolang version? And do I get points deducted for asking such a stupid question? smile

--Brian
In reply to Dan Marsden

by W Page -

Hello!

I would just like to throw in my vote for the possibility of having  "no language" CVS Moodle packages for the dev and stable versions. 

I only keep the "en" and "es" language files. 

Martin D in one of the links you noted, indicated the possibility of "no language" packages with the ability to automatically update language packs from the "admin" page.

I tried to obtain Moodle using Tortoise for the first time the other day and it took forever, primarily because of the language packs.

Hope this is still a "To Do" for future Moodles. smile

WP1

In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I have plans to move the language packs out of the main download packages, as soon as code for downloading and installing them in dataroot is done (including alternate methods/instructions for people whose PHP will not allow this, which will probably be most people).

I've not decided about moving the languages out of CVS tree yet.  I most likely will not do it, because they are so convenient there for larger users (I maintain 60-odd sites myself all with different languages).  You don't have to update the lang direcory if you don't want to, just update the other directories.
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martín Langhoff -

Moving languages out would be a mess. Instead, if you are developing or running from a CVS checkout, and want to speed up "cvs update", "cvs diff" and friends, write a little script or alias with:

cvs update admin auth backup blocks calendar config-dist.php \
course doc enrol error file.php files filter help.php \
index.php install.php lib login mod pix rss theme user \
userpix version.php

On my laptop, this is called "moodleupdate", see:

$ cat ~/bin/moodleupdate 
#!/bin/bash -x 
cvs update admin auth backup blocks calendar config-dist.php \
course doc enrol error file.php files filter help.php \
index.php install.php lib login mod pix rss theme user \
userpix version.php
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by W Page -

Hi Martin L!

• What do you mean by "write a little script or alias"?
  • Where do you put it?
  • How can I use it with Putty and Tortoise?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Martín Langhoff -

With tortoise, just select all folders but lang, and do the "update" thing. Easy.

The scripts are for people using command-line cvs, and are the equivalent to selecting all but lang when you update.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by W Page -

Hi Martin L!

This is really good information.  I am going to try it using TortoiseCVS today.

• How can I do this with SSH
  • Is there a way to write a script to get just the language files I want to be updated?
    • Via SSH?
    • Via TortoiseCVS?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Jan Dierckx -
Hi WP1
Easiest way using TortoiseCVS is the one Martin L suggested. I open the Moodle root directory in Explorer and hit CTRL-A (select all)
Then I CTRL-click on the lang directory to deselect it. Then select "update" in the menu that shows when you rightclick one of the directories. Afterwards you can visit the lang directory and use the same trick to only update the languages you need.

mmmm ... Now that I see all of the steps written out... this looks more tedious than it is. I will try to write a simple .bat file which does all this.

The script that can be used for ssh is the one Martin L provided (meant for commandline CVS)
Here is some explanation about how to write a script and execute it on a linux machine. Just replace the commands inside the sample scripts with the commands Martin L provided (starting from the line with #!/bin/bash)
Hope this helps.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by W Page -

Hello Everyone!

I have continued my questions regarding this process by creating a new thread.  I hope I can use the information (with the help of all of you) to create a tutorial about the process. 

Limiting "lang" files using Putty & TortoiseCVS: The making of a tutorial.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24922

WP1