Error sending password change confirmation email in 2.6

Error sending password change confirmation email in 2.6

by David P -
Number of replies: 5

Good afternoon, I have recently set up a brand new installation of Moodle 2.6 on an AMHosting (www.amhosting.com) hosting account.

I've installed a number of previous versions of Moodle on other hosts without issue. This version seemed to install perfectly fine however moodle seems to be unable to send any emails (e.g. password forget / change emails, or the emails that are sent to students when they use self enrollment.

The error I get is the 'Error sending password change confirmation email as is explained here http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/error/moodle/cannotmailconfirm

It recommends

If you are an Administrator

• Please Check that SMTP server is correctly set.
  • Ensure that SMTP server is able to send emails.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the page where I set the outgoing SMTP settings in this version of moodle? Is it the ones at...

Site Administration > Plugins > Message Outputs > Email

Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks in advance

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David P

Re: Error sending password change confirmation email in 2.6

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's the place. 

Most mail problems stem from some sort of access control. Can the box on which your Moodle sits send email through the server you specify? Check your firewall rules etc. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by David P -

Hi Howard. Thank you very much for this. I made all the necessary changes and still strangely it wasn't sending emails. I then turned on debugging, tried again and noticed the error message being returned was that my emails were being blocked from being sent because the 'sender' was a non local email account. This was annoying because the settings on this page WERE a local email account. So I wondered if there was anywhere else in Moodle that I might have accidentally used the non local email address that it was saying I was using and sure enough I found a setting in

Site Administration > Server > Support contact

That was using my other email address. Fixed that and emails started going out.

Just mentioning all this in case it helps someone else. I guess it was mostly host server related but also helps if you turn on debugging and find out where its getting stuck smile Thanks for you help.

In reply to David P

by Hya Agrawal -
Can you please clarify as to which two email id must be same, one is the id in server -> support contact and other one?

In reply to Hya Agrawal

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Main administrator's Email ID for Moodle, which usually when you install Moodle, is asked when creating first/main admin account.
Also, importantly I do admire you searching for issues in forums rather than starting a new thread, makes you an ideal community member, but, when it comes to additional questions to be asked, do always look out for the date of the thread, if it is more than few months old, better start your new thread giving reference to old one.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Hya Agrawal -

Both the email ID's are same yet issues remain intact. I will try recheck everything again, and will get back to the forum.

And Thanks!! Will keep your words in mind smile