Element library for Moodle

Element library for Moodle

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers

There has been a discussion about using an element library for Moodle and a "critical" tracker issue had been created. https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36558#comment-261352

Has any progress been made with the decision or has the work on the project started?

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: Element library for Moodle

by David Scotson -
If nothing happens (quickly) in core, can we just adopt one of the admin tools in the inked bug (there's Simon's original, Sam's rebase of Simon's, and a partial rewrite by Sam) and install it separately into our own dev Moodles.

Any of the three are better than what we have now (which is nothing), but there's plenty more to be done to cover all the common functionality in Moodle, and it's mostly very boring grunt work, nothing fancy. But the people who it saves the most time are themers so we might as well do that work together and save us all some time. It should be relatively simple to integrate that work back into whatever core decides to do.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Scotson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Good idea. Since this is a plug-in, in can be worked on and used via the plugins DB / github by interested parties, and then integrated into 2.7 before the release.

The HQ frontend team hardly seem short of things to do, so if volunteers can take this on, hopefully it will help them too.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Urs Hunkler -

David and Tim,

I may have some time "between the years" to investigate into the "Element Library".

Can you propose which way would be best to start.

1. Would it be best to fork Moodle on Github and create a "Element Library" branch where everybody can contribute who is interested?
  2. Or would it be better that everybody works on an own fork?
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Scott Karren -

Urs,

I am not sure that this has anything to do with what you are discussing but Totara produced an element library that is available on the MoodleHQ GitHub.  https://github.com/moodlehq/totara You may want to take a closer look at that.

HTH

Scott

In reply to Scott Karren

by Urs Hunkler -

Scott, yes, the Totara "Elelement Libraray" is involved into the discussion.

MoodleHQ has already investigated and I look for a way to start from the latest state and with the best chance to make collaborating as easy as possible.

If you are interested in the discussion so far you may check the tracker link above.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by David Scotson -
I would put the Element Library in it's own github, not a full Moodle install. It shouldn't be that hard to have it work in multiple versions of Moodle, which increases it's usefulness and user/developer base.

If you could get some indication from Moodle HQ as to which way they are leaning (between the three current codebases), and what's holding it back from being included in core (in order to focus people's efforts) then that would be a good place to start.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Scotson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just to expand on what David said, he means make a git repostitory like any of the ones here: https://github.com/moodleou/. You can then add that to an existing Moodle install as explained in several of the readme.txt files there, for example https://github.com/moodleou/moodle-report_editdates. That lets you work on the plugin code separately from the other bits of Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Urs Hunkler -

Thanks David and Tim for your answers.

I just read Martin's comment in the tracker. The frontend team is actually discussing the "Element Libreary" and he is sure that it will be implemented in Moodle 2.7.

So I guess it would lead to waisted work when I/we start an approach of our own. It may be time to get involved when MoodleHQ has set up the module in Moodle 2.7 ...