Moody - Moodle web client for Android

Moody - Moodle web client for Android

by Fábio Barreiros -
Number of replies: 5

Moody will be our main access to the Moodle e-learning platform, but it was also thought to be our best friend, the one who will help us with every school matter. The desired idea is Moody to be known as a friend and not a resource. Therefore, it will have access to the Moodle content, show us the information in a user friendly environment and notify about new developments in our important and favorite subjects.

Features

• Native Android application
  • Open source UI themes and completely customizable
  • Free
  • Access to courses while offline

Requirements

• Moodle >= 2.2
  • Android >= 3.0.x
  • Internet connection

How it works

1. The client sends a user name and password to the web service login script.
  2. The script returns a token for that user account.
  3. The client calls a particular web service function on a protocol server including the token .
  4. The protocol server uses the token to check that the user can call the function.
  5. The protocol server call the matching external function, located in a externallib.php file inside the relevant module.
  6. The external function checks that the current user has_capability to do this operation.
  7. The external function calls the matching Moodle core function (in lib.php usually).
  8. The core function can return a result to the external function.
  9. The external function will return a result to the protocol server.
  10. The protocol server returns the result to the client.

What Moody can do

• Moody is able to get all the contents of your courses
  • Notify you about new contents in your favorites
  • Add your courses to your favorites
  • Get the latest contents from all of your courses
  • Search in your courses
  • Send messages to contacts
  • Edit profile picture

Downloadhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.firetrap.moody&hl=pt_PT

Project page: http://firetrap.github.io/Moody/#!index.md

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Fábio Barreiros

Re: Moody - Moodle web client for Android

by Mark Andrews -

Hey Fábio,

From what you have posted here and on your website this looks like quite a neat implementation of moodle on a mobile - certainly looks visually nice and has some nice features.

A couple of questions though;

1. How similar is it to the 'official' moodle mobile apps? is it a fork or a completely different project?
  2. How do you see this project developing?
  3. The notifications element really appeals to me (and is somthing we are asked about quite frequently) - how does this operate? does it work when the app is not open?

Thanks in advance! 

Cheers

Mark 

In reply to Mark Andrews

by Fábio Barreiros -

Moody it's a independent project, isn't a fork from the official ,it uses a open source communication library with REST protocol to interact with Moodle servers (https://github.com/firetrap/MoodyRest).  The main differences between official app and Moody are: offline access,  push notifications, the option to send messages. The next update will bring some new features and raise the quality and add more stability to the app. 

The development it's done by me and with some help from Bill Antónia in the REST library. The development it's always dependent with Moodle. Moody in contrary with the official app it needs that a service is created in the server side.

Why it is this needed? Because the default web service already pre-built in Moodle only have a few functions and Moody needs more like send messages get user profile picture etc etc. It's a win-win if Moodle enable all the functions in the default web service but at the moment it's not activated so i need "moody_service" (Moody service it's a service created inside moodle with functions available in Moodle, it will never install outside content).  

Yes the notifications works when the app it's not open, the notifications it's an android service wich is running in background, with a time defined in the settings the service it will check with Moodle server if exists new contents in the courses, if exists it will send a notification to the user about the new content.

Thanks, Fábio Barreiros - Moody founder.

by arslan ali -

Hi Fabio. Thanks for your free support to moodle.

Tell me where do i get your moody webservices so that i can enable into my moodle installation to activate your mobile app.

your mentioned link (https://github.com/firetrap/MoodyRest) has the java code. where do i have to put this code?

by Mark Andrews -

Dear Fabio,

Sorry for my slow response to your response - I have only just seen it.

Thanks for the extra detail as to the rationale of the app and it's plan, The features you discuss are all really useful.

Have you discussed them with the moodle mobile team?
I was at the UK moot last week where there was quite a bit of discussion about the offical app. The message I got from Martin and Moodle HQ is that they would love for people to join forces and work on the official app. Adding Web services into moodle and increasing functionality on the app  - the features you mention where on peoples wish list.

All the best

Mark

by David Haider -

Hi

Just gone through the install process. The android app crashes for me every time I input the correct address and credentials. I have to clear the app data to even run the app again.

Using Galaxy Note 3 with 4.4.2 Stock, rooted.

Regular moodle app works fine. 

Have followed your installation guide to the letter.