Participants list in Navigation block

Participants list in Navigation block

by Andy Kent -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

Several students and lecturers at my institution aren't happy that students can view the "Last access" column when they click the Participants list in the Navigation block on a course - they see it as a "wall of shame" and a needless invasion of their privacy.

Is there a way to switch off that column? Or a way to remove Participants from the Navigation block?

Cheers

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Kent

Re: Participants list in Navigation block

by Christian Herman -

Removing the column, I don't know and can't test...because I've removed Participants from the Navigation block.  To do that, open <moodleroot>\lib\navigationlib.php and search for "//Participants".  Comment out the entire section of code.  In v2.5, that's 25 lines.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Dean Leggo -

Yes I agree, it'll be good if the Last access column was only available to teachers and managers.

In reply to Andy Kent

by Derek Chirnside -

Interesting.  Fascinating even.

Do you agree with this perspective?  Like we come to class and see Sally is not there and this is an invasion of her privacy?

Online, we need to have as much openness as we can, and not infringe on a person's privacy.  Not turning up to your online space is like not turning up to class. 

I'm no sure what I think about this.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dean Leggo -

I think it completely depends on how you use Moodle.

If Moodle is not heavily relied upon in your course/institution then it can been a privacy issue. Students do not have a right to know a student is not using it as often as others.

If Moodle is heavily used and a lot of interaction happens then it can be everyone's benefit to know if people are not 'coming to class'.

If Moodle is used in an area where privacy or anonymity is key then no one should know who your are or what you do and it should be completely removed. (i.e Online suicide help group) Or there could be an option for 'students' to control what others see.