Popup in Glossary

Popup in Glossary

by vinoth kannan -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

we are using moodle 2.4.2. version we use of glossary of common terms. I find in moodle forums here where a dashed line under the words for glossary is displayed and when clicked makes glossary of common terms in a popup window. 

But in our application when we give the words it acts as an link and new page pointing to the description is showed. How could i make popup for glossary of common terms in our application. Please help. Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to vinoth kannan

Re: Popup in Glossary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Site administration ► Appearance ► AJAX and Javascript: Enable AJAX Default: Yes

This setting controls the use of AJAX across the site. AJAX is required for certain functionality such as drag and drop.

Please check that AJAX is enabled on your site.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by vinoth kannan -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your suggestion. Ajax is enabled in our site.

Still i cant get the popup

I have added a word to glossary by using add an activity on a course.

at our site glossary links point to : moodle/mod/glossary/view.php?id=10

at moodle site forums it points to: moodle.org/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=5&eid=25&displayformat=dictionary

is there any settings has to be changed or am i missing something

also tool tip for the glossary words comes as normal tool tip in our site and i find an dashed underline for words with "glossary of common terms?" at the moodle site.

Please suggest what i have to change or what i am missing

Thanks again

Vinoth

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

"at our site glossary links point to : moodle/mod/glossary/view.php?id=10 " This is not as it should be, of course.

Is the Glossary filter enabled at site level?

1.- Please create a simple Page resource containing one instance of a word that is present in your course glossary and post a screenshot similar to this one:

screenshot #1

2.- As for the display style of hyperlinked Glossary words; this is dependent on the theme you are using. Which is it?

Joseph

by vinoth kannan -

Hi, i have attached screenshot showing glossary link moodle and the url points to the above said link moodle/mod/glossary/view.php?id=10

we use standard theme of moodle.

filters -> plugin-> managefilter-> glossary auto-linking is set

Attachment glossary link.png

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for your latest screenshot. Still no good. Can you try the following in a test course on your moodle site:

1.- create a "normal" glossary (i.e. with standard settings), name it "course glossary".

2.- in that glossary, create a single entry "dolor", definition "it hurts", make sure it is set to "This entry should be automatically linked"

3.- in your test course, create a "page" resource, in the text field enter the test text:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi pede ipsum, interdum ac, tempus vitae, mollis at, ante.

4.- Display that page resource, move the mouse over the "dolor" word and take a screenshot.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by vinoth kannan -

Hi Joseph, Thanks for your help. It worked, what i left was i created glossary (i thought creating glossary will bring popup) and didnt made any entry. After your post i made an entry and it is now working fine. Hope this post will help many others like me. Thank You very much again.

Vinoth

by Joseph Rézeau -

Vinoth "(i thought creating glossary will bring popup) and didnt made any entry."

That's a very strange idea, having an "empty glossary".

Now, the explanation is as follows.

1.- In Site administration ► Plugins ► Filters ► Manage filters you enabled: Activity names auto-linking

2.- Then you created a Glossary and named it "Moodle" (another strange idea!). And you did not enter any definitions in your glossary (strange again...).

3.- In one actitity/resource on your course (in the screenshot example it's a forum discussion), there occurred the word "Moodle". Now, because of your decision in #1 to autolink activity names, and your decision in #2 to name your glossary "Moodle", the word "Moodle", being an activity name in your course, appeared as a link to that glossary activity!

I wish people would read the documentation, and understand what they are doing before in their Moodle courses before asking for help.black eye But, if they did, then there would be almost no work left for the "helpful moodlers".wink

Joseph