Before posting about an issues with Essential, PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Before posting about an issues with Essential, PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 6

As the author of Essential I am proud of this theme and what people are doing with it. It is not perfect (what code ever is) but it is certainly stable.

I get two to three emails a week now of users asking:

"Is Essential safe to use? I see so many complaints and issues in the forums?"

to which I have to reply:

"Have you read the whole thread?"

as over 90% of the issues have nothing to do with the theme at all. sad

I'm not saying don't ask for help. I'm not claiming Essential to be perfect. I just ask that you do your DUE DILIGENCE first before posting.

What do I mean by this? Follow these steps.

1. Check the Plugins database and make sure you are running the CURRENT version of Essential.
    No code is perfect. That is a key reason why I release new versions. To fix issues. Running old code is a first step towards guaranteeing you will have issues.

2. Switch to the Clean theme and test there.
    Clean, like Essential, is built on what is called the "Bootstrap theme engine". They both inherit the same code provided by the core of moodle for their main layout styling (for those interested, a theme called "bootstrapbase"). Bootstrap is still pretty new for Moodle and full of copious minor formatting bugs. By checking the Clean theme, built into every Moodle, you can determine for yourself if your bug is the fault of Essential or not by replicating it in this other theme.

3. Have you cleared your cache?
    This is one of the most common issues encountered. Did you know Moodle caches themes? Very heavily in fact? With this enabled (as it is by default) you could delete the entire pix directory and Moodle will still serve up the old ones. With the Essential theme purging just the theme cache is not enough! We need to clear out all of them. When testing ALWAYS make sure you click Purge all caches which is found in the Administration Block=>Site Administration=>Development=>Purge all caches.

4. Disable 3rd Party Blocks or plugins while testing
    Third party code is not written and tested by the crew at Moodle HQ. It is created by others all around the world. Some of these creators are experts/pro's with perfect code that could blind an angel with it's beauty. They however are about 2% of the population. The rest of us write flawed code (to various degrees) tested in only certain environments. When testing the theme be sure you do it in a "standard" moodle. If you cannot do this on your live site then maybe install moodle on your desktop/laptop and test there. We have found many issues i themes are created by unintended consequences of buggy plugins.

5. Check out my LIVE demo site.
    My demo site can be found at http://features.demo.moodle.com.au/. It is always running the current STABLE build of Essential. If your problem is not occurring on my demo site, then the problem is not the theme but something isolated to your install.

If you do find an issue that the testing above shows IS a problem with Essential then please feel free to seek help. The best way to do this is via the following.

1. Check the Moodle Tracker to see if the problem has been reported already
    The tracker is where users can lodge issues with Moodle code. It is also where users of Moodle plugins can do the same. Click this link to see all the current listed Essential issues and their status

2. Check the forums before posting to see if the issue has been posted already
    Don't ask the same question that has already been asked by others. A quick search often uncovers what you are looking for as others have probably already hit the same issue if you have.

Following these tips should get you the answer you seek quickly. Thank you again for your interest in Essential. Hope you continue to use the theme.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Before posting about an issues with Essential, PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

by Derek Chirnside -

+1.

Some of us Plebs have a good interest in helping coders be as efficient as possible.  I know I worry about sometimes being guilty of false alarms and stupidity.

Can I add "make sure you have cleared your caches" and "check your blood caffeine is high enough"

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Julian Ridden -

Good thinking Derek. I have updated my post with the info on clearing caches.

Julian

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

+1 too.

Can I also add generally for all themes:

1. Check that you have the correct version of Moodle for the version of the theme.
  2. When reporting issues, state Moodle version and theme version along with a screen shot of the issue.  Report the entire contents of the 'version.php' file of both Moodle and the theme.
  3. State where you downloaded the version from.  As untagged versions in GitHub might not be stable.
  4. Ensure that you are using a browser version acceptable for the version of Moodle - see core release notes.
  5. Be sure that it is a theme issue and not a course format issue - and vice versa.  Within the central content area of the course, the course format is responsible for the mark-up.  If in doubt ask on the Course Format's forum - I can normally tell within around 30 seconds.
  6. When running two sites, development and production, be sure that when making changes you know you are testing the one you are changing.
  7. Do not under any circumstances with M2.5+ remove 'bootstrapbase' and replace it with the contributed version in the plugin's DB.
  8. If you have made 'any' changes, clearly state what they are.
  9. If your Moodle site is within Joomdle - clearly state this as adds another dimension.

Cheers,

Gareth

by David Scotson -
I'm not sure you're going to be able to change human nature on this one, so you might want to just reframe it, e.g.

"Yes, that's because it's so popular" (at this point it would be ideal to be able to insert some impressive stat about number of people using Essential, maybe downloads or something?), "with that amount of usage you're always going to have a small percentage of people who install the wrong version or forget to clear their caches after installation".

This also, handily serves as a "social proof", which should encourage people who are nervous that they're following the herd and not striking out on their own.