moodle crashed while quiz

moodle crashed while quiz

autor Martin Fernandes -
Počet odpovědí: 12

I used the following config pc with 60 concurrent users (Lan) the moodle crashed while quiz attempt was started

• i3 3220 @3.30 GHz
  • 16Gb Ram
  • Windows 7

can you please guide

Průměr hodnocení: -
V odpovědi na Martin Fernandes

Re: moodle crashed while quiz

autor Emma Richardson -
Obrázek: Documentation writers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Plugin developers

What version of Moodle?  Were all questions on one page and how many? In older versions of Moodle the quiz was very resource intensive but this has been much improved recently.  

V odpovědi na Emma Richardson

autor Martin Fernandes -

There was only one question on a page with a total of 100 questions and i am using Moodle 2.4.

autor Usman Asar -
Obrázek: Plugin developers Obrázek: Testers

Martin,  can you please write bit more on configuration in terms of SOFTWARE.

Your hardware in terms of CPU and RAM is A-OK, but what about hard drive? just one or more than one? which type? What Web Server/ Database?

Generally speaking, your base O/S as being windows 7 is a workstation class O/S. so resource allocation becomes HARD. Using Server O/S on a windows based environment would have been much better.

V odpovědi na Usman Asar

autor Martin Fernandes -

I have a SATA Hard disk with more than 250gb free space and will my pc configuration be enough to run moodle if i install server 2008 r2

Thanks

autor Usman Asar -

Martin, just changing the O/S will take care of say about 25-30% of the issues, usually in requirements like this where Quiz is being attempted by 60+/- at once,  database READ/WRITE is tremendous, the main bottleneck being RAM is already been taken care of by you which is MORE than sufficient. adding an additional Drive and making RAID-0/1 configuration may will take care of the things pretty well.

You haven't mentioned the Database and WebServer you are using? dont tell me its XAMPP you are running your site on.

V odpovědi na Usman Asar

autor Martin Fernandes -

yes it xamp what should i use ??

autor Usman Asar -

Martin, XAMPP is never recommended on Production sites, its just for desktop environment to test the PHP/MySQL codes.

you can install Apache, PHP and MySQL standalone, if you are aware of configurations then very well. or get someone to do this for you.

if you are not comfortable doing configurations, then in terms of hardware, I would definitely recommend adding another drive and setting up RAID-1

V odpovědi na Usman Asar

autor Tim Hunt -
Obrázek: Core developers Obrázek: Documentation writers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Peer reviewers Obrázek: Plugin developers

The amount of RAM plugged into the motherboard is sufficient, but have MySQL and Apache been configured to use it?

autor Howard Miller -
Obrázek: Core developers Obrázek: Documentation writers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Peer reviewers Obrázek: Plugin developers

I know it sounds dismissive, but I don't fancy your chances. 60 concurrent users running quiz on a desktop system (i.e. optimised for running Word and Outlook not background server applications) under Windows. It just isn't the man for the job.

V odpovědi na Howard Miller

autor Marcus Green -
Obrázek: Core developers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Plugin developers Obrázek: Testers

What does "crashing" mean, that word can cover a wide range of situations.

V odpovědi na Marcus Green

autor Usman Asar -

Marcus, in this scenario, crashing could have halted the server to serve any more pages, as LOAD on server doesnt produce any errors or bugs for your moodle site, but you generally get error like server not reachable etc, as the load gets heavy on server, the server tries to process all requests until they get so many to bring server to a halt. As when load minimizes, server comes back to normal operations.

V odpovědi na Howard Miller

autor Emma Richardson -
Obrázek: Documentation writers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Plugin developers

I agree - I suspect your operating system.  The quiz, though greatly improved on performance in 2.4, still will put a load on with simultaneous users accessing and submitting a quiz.  That is just a lot for Windows 7 to handle even with the amount of ram that it has.