Automatic grading of uploaded assignments

Automatic grading of uploaded assignments

by Scott Karren -
Number of replies: 6

Everyone,

I am using Moodle 2.4.4+ and would like to know if there is a way to have the system automatically assign a passing grade to a file submission assignment.  We have a course that requires employees to download and print a form, fill it out, scan and upload it back to the system.  We don't need to look at each individual form, just know that they have uploaded it to move on with the course.  Is there a way to automatically have the system assign a grade or remove it from grades all together?

Scott

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Karren

Re: Automatic grading of uploaded assignments

by Rob Woof -

Hi Scott,

Have a look at Activity Completion. I believe you could make subsequent activities unavailable until the upload is complete, and the completion criterion can be set to the student submitting a file.

Does that get you anywhere?

Cheers,

Rob

In reply to Scott Karren

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

+1 for Rob's solution

Just make the following activities hidden until the initial activity is completed.

But why download and print and scan it back? Can't the form itself be an online activity such as designing a quiz or questionnaire as your form? The responses are then usable as well in whatever kind of analysis you may want to do. The authentication onto Moodle in the first place could obviate the need for a hard copy signature as proof of personalisation if that is part of the issue.

In reply to Scott Karren

by Nathan Browne -

Hi,

I'd be very interested in a solution to this too. I would actually use it slightly differently in that automatic grading of a file submission assignment would allow the gradebook to display a value such as 'submitted'. 

Our courses are made up of a variety of File Submissions, Quizes, Lessons etc. so the gradebook can be confusing to students.

Any help would be great.

In reply to Nathan Browne

by Lucien Stals -

We have a similar issue, but it involves group assignments.

When students upload their assignment, activity completion triggers the release of further documentation for the second part of the assignment.

The problem we have encountered is that since it's a group assignment, only one person uploads the assignment, and the activity completion only triggers for that one student. The other members of the group don't get the download for part 2.

If there was some way to auto-grade assignments on submission, then we could change the completion condition to "has grade". Since grades are awarded to a whole team, then everyone would be able to download the files for part 2.

Obviously there would be a question about what kind of grade to award automatically, but in our case the assignment part 1 is just a hurdle. Any mark they receive does not count towards their final grade.

In reply to Lucien Stals

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you have the group activity set where only one person has to submit?  If so, I would report that as a bug to tracker.

In reply to Scott Karren

by Mike Kaufmann -

Hi Scott,   

It's been a few years since this post was active.  I'm also looking for a solution that allows points to be awarded automatically at the time of submission.       I was wondering if you every happen upon a fix or a work around that worked for you?   

Thanks Mike