Uploading files

Uploading files

by Michelle Eames -
Number of replies: 14

Hi i want to quickly upload lots of files in one go but have them as seperate resource links (i don't want to use the folder resource - I use that for those instances when i want all tose files displayed together).  In Moodle 1.9 I could see course files really easily.  We upgraded to 2.2 and because all my files were already there they were just legacy files, howeber now I do need to add new files and i am now on 2.5.

How can i do this?

I have tried uploading the files as a zip and setting one file as the main one and then duplicating that resource and changing the main file.  Am i duplicating the amount og times those files appear by doing that?

How can I see what files are linked to what course.  server files doesn't seen to do what i want either.

REgards

Michelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Eames

Re: Uploading files

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can drag and drop them - select them all and drag in bulk

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michelle Eames -

I can't see how?

I don't have the +

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Since Moodle 2.3 you can drag and drop files. However, it does depend on your browser - it doesn't work with earlier versions of IE but if you can try with an up to date version of for example Chrome or Firefox you should see a "drag and drop" option at the top of your screen and be able to drag files in. Do  you see that?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michelle Eames -

I have IE 8, unfortunartley I am unable to download Chrome or Firefox or any other browser type due to our policies.

Thanks

by Mary Cooch -

Ah I see (and I understand) Well you can't use drag and drop then. If you upload them as a folder resource and then (new in 2.5) you can display the contents inline in the settings of the folder resource once you have uploaded and unzipped - have a look here 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michelle Eames -

I have begged Google Chrome abut still no + on the topics.  Even if i switch to standard theme.  so what am I missing?

Howver, the problem I had with the above folder structure was I would unzip the folder but for every link to a document i would end up with a new folder with just that file, even though it was already in a folder therefore duplicates.

It was so much easier in 1.9!!!

me drag drop

by Tendayi Bayco -

Hello guy I am new to moodle and have no idea how it works. I was tasked to creat online learning content using moodle. my question is how to i creat or upload videos on module for my students to use. also how do i upload material for online training. can anyone help

In reply to Tendayi Bayco

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is extensive help documentation.  Start there and then post back if you have trouble or specific questions.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Chapman -

this is a great feature of 2.3+ however I think, (im not certain) that a maximum amount of files can be reached if adding directly via drag and drop onto topic areas. I have had a lecturer add 261 files across 13 topics (grid format) on 2.5 and backups fail, however with 260 files its fine...'fm-maxfiles' the course size is small compared to some its only 111.5 MB compared to some 1.6 GB courses.

My understanding would be that it does not like 260+ files in just the topic area- it would like them in a second level directory maybe- I dont understand Moodle 2.0+ file systems so...I dont really know, if someone could point me to someone who does that would be great!

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have a course that has several hundred files in it with no issue.  I do put them in folders so not sure if that makes a difference.  I upload them in bulk using zip files which is a very slick process.  Drag and drop a zip file and it will ask if you want to unzip and put them all in a folder or just add the zip file as is.

by Derek Chirnside -

Chris, IMO There is something else going on here.

Maybe a PHP setting, a format problem.  Check another format, make sure you don't have something extra coded in that is messing things up.

(Can you upgrade?  There was new backup/restore functionality about version 2.4?)

Moodle can definitely handle more than 260 files.

Good luck.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Chris Chapman -

Thanks Derek, il try another course format, as grid isn't core moodle (yet) - if that fails i'l try and convince the lecturer to put them in folders, and hope that works. Tidier in my opinion anyway!

I'l also test it on 2.6, going to have to go to it as we have large backups that I cant restore! 4GB+

by Chris Chapman -

results found- course format made no difference. having 260 anything (activities, files or resources) on the home page of the course screwed up the backups. Solution in this case put files in folders. 

tested in 2.6 and no such problems.

however this could be related to max_allowed_packet in my.ini - which I don't have access to at the moment, and the IT Systems guy is off on holiday! great!