Permissions issues - view results only after closed (v 2.4)

Permissions issues - view results only after closed (v 2.4)

by Mike Landis -
Number of replies: 3

On our Moodle 2.4 installation using Questionnaire v. 2013062003,  I am trying to make a template for teachers to use site-wide for end of course surveys.  However, I do not want the teachers to be able to view the results until the course is over (at least not without editing the survey).

I wanted originally to use a Public survey, but the problem with Public survey is that the teachers don't seem to be able to view the results for just their class.  Did I miss that in my testing?  Teacher views of public questionnaire results placed in two classes showed results for both classes together, not each separate.

So I created a template and removed the permissions for "read all responses any time."  I left "read response summaries, subject to open times" available to teachers, thinking that perhaps that meant that teachers would be able to view the summaries as long as the questionnaire was not open.  (But I'm not really sure what this permission means.)

In any case:

1)  Permissions were not copied from the template to the new one I made in a course when I used the template and ...

2) The "read response summaries, subject to open times" would not allow the teachers to read the summary results outside the open times.  It doesn't appear to enable them to read the summary results inside the open times either, though that wouldn't even be useful it seems.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to solve the above problems?

Thanks,

M

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Landis

Re: Permissions issues - view results only after closed (v 2.4)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid the situation you describe is rather unusual and I see no easy way to have questionnaires behave according to the scenario you describe.

Are you yourself at the same time your Moodle site admin and your institution's director/head/boss? How many courses are there on your Moodle site (approx.)? If you do not have too many courses and can spare the time you could do the following (as an admin).

1.- In Course00, create a Template questionnaire Temp01.

2.- In Course A, create e.g. Questionnaire "End of Year Survey", copied from Temp01. In the Questionnaire editing block, go to Permissions, and remove from the Teacher role all the "view responses" permissions.

3.- After the students have responded, go back to each course and restore the Teacher default pemissions for those questionnaires.

Please note the following:

- Responses to copies of a Public questionnaire are only visible in the course where the original Public questionnaire was created. This is by design.

- Template questionnaires are only meant to be used for their Questions "bank". None of the settings are "transmitted".

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Landis -

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm the site admin, but I'm working to assist our academic affairs office in administering end of course surveys to all of our (several hundred) classes.  Last year we used a survey tool for it and each class was done individually, and I was hoping the questionnaire module would provide an easy or more workable solution.

As it is, it's easier to go in and edit the survey settings for each of the hundreds of courses than it is to use the previous method.  Labor intensive, though, to say the least.

It would certainly make sense to copy a template's permissions when creating a new survey though, and would help immensely with this task if possible.  That, and if there were a way to limit responses so that they can only be viewed after the survey close (even though once copied in a teacher could technically change the settings and permissions on the copy in their class, there'd be a log of that change - a deterrent.)

Of course we want to share end of course survey results with the teacher of that course after the course is done!

Perhaps these changes might get added to the module, or perhaps there is a better solution for this type of end of course survey.  Or perhaps our academic affairs office will challenge me with the process of writing some summarizing tool to sift through the results of a Public survey to make it easy to disseminate results to our faculty.  Fortunately, the Public survey does put the course number in the results!

Thanks for the feedback,

M

In reply to Mike Landis

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mike "Or perhaps our academic affairs office will challenge me with the process of writing some summarizing tool to sift through the results of a Public survey to make it easy to disseminate results to our faculty.  Fortunately, the Public survey does put the course number in the results!"

That of course would be a possibility.

Joseph