Moodle and LAMS

Re: Moodle and LAMS

by Ernie Ghiglione -
Number of replies: 17
Hi Moodlers,

As mentioned to you before, on the LAMS Foundation website you can find out detailed information about the LAMS and Moodle Integration.

On there you can find a technical documentation as well as a a simple walkthrough that shows specifically how the implementation is going to work. It's important to notice that these are not photoshoped images, but actual pictures from our own LAMS-Moodle integration implementations.

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you,

Ernie
In reply to Ernie Ghiglione

by Jussi Hannunen -
Walkthrough says (in Overview):
3. Linking to a Moodle activity from within a LAMS sequence: the URL for an existing Moodle activity can be included in a LAMS sequence through Share Resources allowing LAMS to launch a Moodle activity at a specific point in a LAMS sequence.

But Technical documentation say (in 1.1.2):

Note: The integration of LAMS and Moodle will not support LAMS accessing Moodle tools. For example, if a teacher wants to run a forum within a LAMS sequence, they must use the LAMS forum, not the Moodle forum. If the teacher wishes the students to use the Moodle forum, they should put in a Noticeboard activity, which tells the students to go to the Moodle forum.

So which is it? Or is this just as it says: linking ok, "accessing" not?

In reply to Jussi Hannunen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
By "accessing" it really means "including". The LAMS forums have different features than Moodle - they allow workflow so that people move through things in a specific way planned by the teacher. You can't embed/include a Moodle forum in this sort of scenario, but you can certainly link to a Moodle forum if you wanted to.  (In this case, it would appear in LAMS as a sort of "Resource", not a forum).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by webmaster gerhard -
I am I right, when i suppose the following? >>

• i will be able to develop a specific e-learning module with LAMS -offline- when LAMS is running stand-alone on my computer (as it really does since 50 minutes (really great)
  • the i will be able to  transfer  this course via  moodle-ftp  and moodle will present the course in the LAMS format to the scholar online ?
sorry for my bad english
with greetings from germany

In reply to webmaster gerhard

by Ernie Ghiglione -
    * i will be able to develop a specific e-learning module with LAMS -offline- when LAMS is running stand-alone on my computer (as it really does since 50 minutes (really great)

Glad you liked the installer wink

Yes, you can import sequences into any LAMS server. So if you have LAMS and Moodle integrated, you will be able to import them using the LAMS Authoring interface.

If you have a look at Figure 3 on the walkthru, you'll see that you can pop-up a browser window with the LAMS Authoring interface. In there, if you click on File | Import, you'll be able to import your LAMS sequence and then you can use that sequence as your LAMS activity in Moodle.

* the i will be able to  transfer  this course via  moodle-ftp  and moodle will present the course in the LAMS format to the scholar online ?

No, probably not this way.

Thanks,

Ernie

In reply to webmaster gerhard

by Daniel Denev -

BEST/ LAMS 2.0 and Lock Activity in new course format

Attachment lams_week_course_format.jpg
In reply to Daniel Denev

by Daniel Denev -

LAMS 2.0 in to BEST (Bulgarian Educational Site)

Attachment bg_authoring.jpg
In reply to Daniel Denev

by Daniel Denev -

LAMS 2.0 vs. Lock Aktivity logic in Moodle
Linear or NON-LINEAR Workflow
and course(sequence) export question
(course-templates/sequences builtin repository and metadata-search)

Attachment lock_activities.jpg
In reply to Jussi Hannunen

by Ernie Ghiglione -
Jussi,

That's for pointing this out.

Actually -although this might sound like a dichotomy, both are right smile

You can include Moodle activities in a LAMS sequence using the LAMS Share Resources tool (as shown in the walkthru) or by putting a weblink in the LAMS Noticeboard. However, you are *not* really adding a Moodle Forum as a LAMS activity... that is, it's not a drag-and-drop activity in the LAMS Authoring environment. See getting started guide.

In reality, all you are doing is adding a URL to an activity in LAMS (share resources) that allows you to "jump" to that URL when the activity is loaded.

I hope that clarifies it. Please let me know otherwise.

Thanks,

Ernie

by Ernie Ghiglione -
In this posting in the "Learning Design" Book Study, we've been discussing the integration of Moodle and LAMS. Don Hinkelman and the LD fellows have been asking a lot of interesting questions that might be able to help other Moodlers understand LAMS and the integration in general.  Thanks Don!

In addition, and by the same token, LAMS has quite a bit of documentation for people that might want to understand how it works.

Thanks,

Ernie

by Clive Gould -
I'd be interested in hearing from others who have successfully got LAMS running, particularly on a Linux platform.

I've just got a LAMS server up and running on a CentOS4 (RHEL clone) platform, but it took quite a while as I found that unlike Moodle, the LAMS install documentation is decidedly still in Beta wink

I  wonder if it's possible to have LAMS running on the same server as Moodle, both on port 80 - has anyone managed to get jboss to talk to Apache via modjk with LAMS?

In reply to Clive Gould

by Vu Hung -
>>I wonder if it's possible to have LAMS running on the same server as Moodle, both on port 80 - has anyone managed to get jboss to talk to Apache via modjk with LAMS?
Have a look at technical document of Moodle and LAMS integration http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/moodle/Moodle_Integration.doc. Perhaps it will help you.
In reply to Vu Hung

by karan k -
This document does not help... any other simple steps to integrate LAMS into moodle??
In reply to karan k

by Ernie Ghiglione -
G'day Karan,

There's a demo site that shows LAMS2 and Moodle 1.6.3+ integrated. You can go there and test the integration for yourself. The code is still in beta and there are a few bugs left, but we are on them smile

Nevertheless, the LAMS Moodle Module code is available for you right now if you want to use it.

If you need any help, have a look at the LAMS Community tech forums.

Thanks,

Ernie