Moodle "Essential" theme 2.6 now in the wild

Moodle "Essential" theme 2.6 now in the wild

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 12

Sorry for the delay. Been a little late in coming. But as they say, good things are worth the wait! smile

The latest update to the Essential theme is now in the plugins DB. As usual, please try and keep this thread just for reporting issues in this specific release.

Still no Docking yet as I am struggling to get it to work reliably in Bootstrap. It is not forgotten however.

As usual, you can see a demo of these new features as well as a new course demonstrating Bootstrap style formatting done with the text editor at http://features.demo.moodle.com.au 

New in 2.6

• Added ability to select from 21 preset Google Font combinations or disable their use completely.
  • Now includes additional Bootstrap JS plugins to allow for more dynamic formatting as shown on http://getbootstrap.com/javascript/
  • New Frontpage Slideshow settings to allow to display; all the time, only before login, only after login or never.
  • New Marketing Spots settings to allow to display; all the time, only before login, only after login or never.
  • Course Labels are no longer in bold by default
  • Now has a companion Mahara ePorfolio theme so you can keep them looking alike - https://github.com/moodleman/mahara-theme_essential
  • Further minor bug fixes and tidy up.

Thanks for the support everyone. Hope you enjoy it.

P.S. For those who are interested I will be at the next German Moodle Moot running a workshop on building Bootstrap themes like this. Hopefully will get the chance to make t to other Moots if demand is there.

Julian (@moodleman) Ridden

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Moodle "Essential" theme 2.6 now in the wild

by Danny Wahl -

hate to be a bother, but I don't actually see how to disable Google Fonts.  Which is a must for us.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Julian Ridden -

Look at the last option on that list smile You have to scroll down a bit further.

Julian

Attachment disable_fonts.png

by Danny Wahl -

freaking Mac and it's hidden scroll bars... it's as bad as the 'option' key...

blush

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Congrats Again Julian! Keep up the good work. Is there any way I can make SOCIAL NETWORK links open in NEW window? as they open in same window.

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Julian. This theme is certainly living up to its name!

Also, really appreciate the companion Mahara theme. However, have noticed that, with Mahara 1.7.3, if you attempt to edit a page it throws an error. 

ERROR - something bad happened after headers have been sent. Check the error log for more information.

The Apache error_log suggests the error is thrown by the Dwoo templating engine.

Hope this gets fixed as having matching Essential themes for both Moodle and Mahara is brilliant

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Geoffrey,

If you check the Readme file you will see that the Mahara theme is built and tested for Mahara 1.8 only.

It will not work in 1.7

Julian

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Apologies, RTFM!

Realise now that the Bootstrap support in only in Mahara 1.8.

Can confirm page creation/editing is working in the Mahara 1.8 release candidate with the Essential theme.

Looks like I'll now have to update some of my Mahara plugins to use Font Awesome icons etc

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Julian Ridden -

No worries Geoffrey, happens to all of us smile

Julian

by david millians -

Would it be possible to have a cheatsheet of the different combinations? It's a lot of combinations to try out, especially given all the different browsers one must try, so it would be nice to rule out some of them to start with.

Thanks.

by Enrique Lueje -

It would be possible to be able to pull over modules