MOOC's, and old link

Re: MOOC's, and old link

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 0

Hello all,

Like the curtains in this lounge-aren't any in the forum I usually frequent, so thought I would join you social animals cool

Matt, an insightful post.  I agree on nearly all fronts...thanks ever so much for posting, you got me thinking.  I include an alternative proposition with regard to 'expert learner' , but I do not claim to be right-could be wrong, just a proposition.  

Underpinning Kant's enlightenment definition of genius, in 'Critique of Judgement', is that the genius is able to discover difficult ideas/concepts by one's self.  The inference is that some individuals can be inherently more creative than others.  My view on this compares with the notion of 'expert learner': a myth.

Even though some peeps might be able to pick up stuff quick, catch on, make sense of stuff on their own, or draw upon trained thought- due to PG study, I think during any learning situation the learner always bounces ideas of others, sometimes without realising.  Consequently, this can enhance self regulatory thought/higher mental functioning...ergo the dialogues between people can enhance the quality of dialogue with self (Vygotsky, Bakhtin).  

Examples of such application can be seen in group/collaborative/communites of practice types of learning, and so it goes, possibly MOOCs.  As an aside, according to Tara Brabazon (Times Higher Ed, 11 July, 2013) there can be some seasoned academics who survive on the back of their students pubs!                  

Again, sterling post Matt

Yours

Prof Delores Umbridge (aka Harry Potter)  big grin