Google Chrome?

Google Chrome?

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 25
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Any first impressions? Html editor doesn't work. Other than that I am still investigating...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Google Chrome?

by A. T. Wyatt -
I have been reading the license agreement, and although I will probably install chrome for testing websites/css, this seems excessively far reaching:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

You see this kind of language on a number of media hosting sites, and as a non-lawyer, I don't know if it is something I should be worried about or not! I think we have had this conversation before, so anybody feel free to weigh in and explain it to me!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Russell Waldron -
Worry is too mild a reaction. Google has just grasped for a licence to Be Evil.

If I had used Chrome today, Google would have gained permission to
  • publish my bank account number, password and recent transaction history;
  • publish any message I read in webmail;
  • publish a stream of 'Videos Russell saw today' and my click history;
  • change the content or appearance of any webpage on my screen;
  • secretly install new software onto my computer;
  • unilaterally expand their rights under the Chrome licence.
This is WORSE than the Windows Media Player EULA.

A technical solution!
The source code is published under patchwork of open source licences. It may be legal for one of us to compile it and publish an executable program under a different EULA.

A market solution.
Use Firefox and support Mozilla.

Russell
In reply to Russell Waldron

by Daryl Hunt -
I may download Chrome at sometime in the future out of curiosity but I am very happy with Firefox and will continue to support Mozilla. I think Google is big and ugly enough now to look after itself wink
In reply to Daryl Hunt

by Daryl Hunt -

So ok I know I am like a Bower bird always atracted to new shiny things so donwloaded Chrome, yes I can confirm it don't like HTML editor and I am unable to edit any content in the little CMS we have at work. I think the Chrome is still a little tarnished. So back to the Fox for me until Chrome has more polishing wink

Cheers

Daryl

In reply to Russell Waldron

by Derek B -

According to a post on the Open Sky Media Blog, "while your personal computer may not care about your tastes in fiction, the web service you choose to write and/or host your documents just might."

For example, did you know that the Google Docs TOS state that "“you give Google a worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through the Service." Moreover, Google Docs further stipulate that "students must be 13 or over to use Google Docs."

If you do decide to use Google Docs in your classroom with students under the age of 13, be sure to obtain written permission from your students parent or guardian. Failure to do so could put your school and career in jeopardy.

To be clear, I'm not trying to knock Google Docs. It's a great product. My intent is to make sure that educators are aware of the issues. It's important that you, as the teacher, know all the associated issues and legal requirements associated with using this tool before using it in your classroom.

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Samuli Karevaara -
Depends a lot on what is described as "The Services".

PS. This (Chrome) is very responsive. HTML editor is gone, but the aim could be to have the "HTML Editor 2.0" in Moodle 2.0 to work in Chrome too.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Tariq Adel Al Ammadi -

Chrome's design makes it very effective at handling Moodle sites, at least a x3 speedup in rendering times on page refresh -- well that's what I perceive anyways.

There are some tests carried out at the link below

http://lifehacker.com/5044668/beta-browser-speed-tests-which-is-fastest
In reply to Tariq Adel Al Ammadi

by Anil Sharma -
I love the browser. Its small, fast and neat.

Is there any way to make the HTML editor work ? I wonder why its missing
In reply to Anil Sharma

Well once ./lib/moodlelib.php:check_browser_version() and HTMLArea.checkSupportedBrowser in ./lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php recognizes it, it seems to work fine; see screenshot.
Attachment gm.png

by Scott Mohnkern -
Don't intend to sound like a complete idiot, but are there more explicit instructions to make this change?

I found the following lines:

function check_browser_version($brand='MSIE', $version=5.5) {
if (check_browser_version('MSIE', 5.5)) {
} else if (check_browser_version('Gecko', 20030516)) {

in moodlelib.php, but don't know what "else" line to add.

In reply to Scott Mohnkern

Hi Scott,

You're on the right track, there is a simple enough patch attached to MDL-16336.

This is very much under test at the moment, so if you decide to test let us know of any issues you encounter.

Thanks.

by Ramy Shokry -

أ طارق :

هوا فين الكود اللى هحط دا مكانه انا ليا يومين بدور على الكود ومفيش فايده :\

ممكن تساعدنى smile

In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I can confirm that TinyMCE (default editor in Moodle 2.0) works very well (and *fast*) in Chrome. After all, great javascript support is one big objective of Chrome...

Tariq - I'll try to remember to add support for Chrome for previous versions, but if you could open an issue in the tracker about it (with the patch you came up with), it would be great..

Mat
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by James Clay -
This was just an error on Google's part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7597699.stm

Google has rescinded an article of the user agreement for its new browser, Chrome, released on Tuesday.

The initial agreement claimed rights over "any Content which you submit, post or display on or through" the browser.

Google reworded the agreement on Wednesday, leaving those rights in the hands of Chrome's users.
In reply to James Clay

by A. T. Wyatt -
Just an error? Or testing the waters? Hard to say . . . I have become all too cynical, I am afraid. mixed

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Alexandre Enkerli -
It's useful to be cynical and the jury's still out on Google: are they still following their Do No Evil motto?
But the point is, Google is pretty responsive so the result is almost identical, whether they actually made an error or changed their strategy.
Seems to me like they're clueful enough to know how to handle cynics. And the geek crowd is cynical enough to keep Google honest.
In reply to Alexandre Enkerli

by Matt Gibson -
As I understand it, they cut and pasted their EULA from that used for other services. Still just as creepy but not quite as widespread.

Perhaps "Do No" approaches "Do" for some values of evil?
In reply to Alexandre Enkerli

by Samuli Karevaara -
The (informal) Google slogan is "Don't be evil". So, it might allow some evildoing, if good are allowed "mistakes" smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here are some statistics straight from the developers of TinyMCE, comparing the performance of recent browsers.

Mat
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Rupert Bright -
very interesting statistics, the big focus for chrome will be on plug ins for developers. You will not have many moving over from firefox given the quality of plugins available. If google can match this both in deveoping and using the plugins then they could well compete.

For your average internet browser chrome offers a very clean and simple interface which would appeal to many, I wonder if Microsofts epic marketing campaign for IE8 will help prop up a weak product.
In reply to Rupert Bright

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Seems as good a place as any to post this, but what about a Chrome plugin/extension for Moodle like they provide for Google Voice and Gmail? It could login a user, provide an update of messages and such (all without the user having to login to the system first to see that data).

could make student and teacher access to Moodle that much more seamless.

Btw, I love chrome. I use it all day, every day (except for when I need to build something in the text editor for Moodle w/ HTMLarea) or need to cross test pages in different browsers.