Student submits assignment-receives confirmation email-no assignment content appears for grading

Student submits assignment-receives confirmation email-no assignment content appears for grading

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 1

We had a student who submitted an assignment and received a confirmation email, however no assignment content appears for grading.

The professor said:

One of my students, Hanna A, submitted a homework assignment on 9-17 for PSY2310.02. She received the email below. 

However, when I look under that assignment for grading purposes, there is nothing showing.  

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:05 PM
To: A------, Hanna R
Subject: You have submitted your assignment submission for Ch 5 Homework Assignment

PSY2310.02-FA0113 ->Assignment ->Ch 5 Homework Assignment 

You have submitted an assignment submission for 'Ch 5
Homework Assignment
'You can see the status of your assignment submission.

As the administrator I created a fake student, EveAnn Jellical and created a fake Yahoo email account for that student. I enrolled her in the course and had her attempt one of the current assignments. If she didn't place content in the assignment content block which appears she gets a message saying she has no content and will not let her submit. If she adds content she is allowed to submit. As soon as she submits she gets a verification email. If she attempts to edit her submission she gets a new email indicating the new submission based on the edit.

I can see no way she can submit and get an email indicating submission without posting content. Consequently, I don't understand why, in the submission page the instructor can't see the original/actual student's submitted content, or why, the student could receive a submission email without actually submitting.

The assignment is:

Submission type: Online text

Students are not required to click a submit button and they are not required to accept a submission statement

We are using Moodle 2.5.1

PHP version 5.3.3

All server status checks under Administration>server>Environment read OK

I am attaching a screen shot with fake student's email receipts, and original student Grade page showing "no submission" (Again, why would she get a submission email if no attempt?).

In summary: Any idea why she would would be stopped from submitting if no content is provided, yet she apparently submitted something, or she wouldn't get the email saying she did, and then it appears to the professor that nothing was submitted?

Attachment fake student notification.png
Attachment submission1.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: Student submits assignment-receives confirmation email-no assignment content appears for grading

by ben reynolds -

I don't use the online text assignment but type, but I know that from 1.9 to 2.4 at least, if you have notes (now called submission notes, right?) enabled, the moment you touch that, Moodle thinks you have submitted an assignment.

I've had one miscreant use that trick to claim he did his work when he didn't.