uploading an excel file with new grades

uploading an excel file with new grades

by Abigail Barzilai -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I would like to change the grades  on my local computer

and upload the file with the new data. Is it possible?

Can I add a column?

Can I edit the table online?

Please Help.

Abigail

In reply to Abigail Barzilai

Re: uploading an excel file with new grades

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Abigail,

While I have not tried it myself your best bet is to take a look at the following thread
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17047
and see if you can get that to work with whichever version you are using.

Stephen has worked out some code to import CSV information, and while it is not excel format, excel will save to CSV format.

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Abigail Barzilai

Re: uploading an excel file with new grades

by Stephen Edwards -
It looks like the patch I posted in the other thread cannot be automatically aplied to the current gradebook cvs source, because a little too much evolution happened in the mean time. I wasn't updating my copy this semester since it was on a production machine smile. I'll work on the patch against the current source as soon as I have time (now that our semester is over!).

For some of Abigail's specific questions:

> I would like to change the grades on my local computer
> and upload the file with the new data. Is it possible?

Yes, although it probably isn't as easy as you'd like smile. You can download scores in Excel format and edit them as you like. The patch I posted to support uploading CSV files allows you to upload scores, too. There are a few caviats, though, because the upload and download formats are not the same.

The download format is as an excel xls file, with textual assignment names for column headings, as well as textual grades for custom-scaled grades (i.e., those assignments with non-numeric scores).

The upload format is CSV, with assignment IDs for column headings (not textual names), and with all numeric score values.
If you use custom scales, you must use a numeric encoding (1 = first value in scale definition, 2 = second value in scale definition, ..., N = nth value in scale definition).

Maybe when I work on the patch, I should try to match the formats up (which is more work ...).

> Can I add a column?

No. To add a column, you need to create an activity in your Moodle course. After you create the activity (say, a new assignment), then you can upload scores for it.

> Can I edit the table online?

That is a gradebook question rather than a download/upload question. It is a feature that has been requested several times, but I don't know about the status of it at present.