Moodle and uPortal

Moodle and uPortal

by Michael Feldstein -
Number of replies: 15
Hi there,

Has anybody integrated Moodle and uPortal? Are there any Moodle/uPortal combinations in production at any universities?

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Feldstein

Re: Moodle and uPortal

by Michael Penney -
Hi Michael, romuald lorthioir has released CAS authentication for Moodle, and he is a good source for other uPortal/Moodle information.

Discussed here.

In reply to Michael Penney

by romuald lorthioir -
Hi,
just seen the post.

We are using Moodle with ESup a UPortal version. I know about 7 french university who is using it with this potal. We have about 30000 students in my university and about 100000 in the UNRB (a group of 5 Universities of Bretagne - France).

We have developped the CAS module and now we'll develop a canal for Moodle courses. Next we wants to use shibbolet to federate our Moodle plateforme.

For now we just access Moodle like an external application or in a frame directly in the portal.

If you have specific questions just ask me i'll try to respond !

Cheers,

Romuald

In reply to romuald lorthioir

by Michael Feldstein -
Hi Romuald,

Thanks for the answer. When you develop the uPortal channel, how do you plan to implement it? Will you be using WSRP? Also, is your plan to create just a single course window that holds everything, or will it be possible to bring up individual Moodle tools in individual portlets?

Thanks.

by romuald lorthioir -
For the moment,

We just want to get the courses list of a user on every Moodle he has access to.
Next we 'll choose other Moodle blocks to transform as portlet (like calendar).
We'll use the standards to do this to give it to the community.

Bye.
In reply to romuald lorthioir

by Steven Geggie -

We are also trying to integrate uPortal with Moodle.  When we use an iFrame, we seem to jump out of the uPortal context (I think because target=_top).

Have you been able to modify Moodle so that you can stay within the iframe?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

In reply to Steven Geggie

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Steven look in Admin >> Config >> Variables and you'll one config that lets you pick the name of the frame you want Moodle to stay within.  By default it's _top or something.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Steven Geggie -
Thanks so much.  using "_self" rather than "_top" did the trick.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Ashok Erugu -
Hi,

This is Ashok. I have installed Moodle and uPortal independently and able to run successfully.
Can you please help me how to integrate both.Please give me the complete details since I am very new to the above two technologies.

Thanks
Ashok E

Re: Moodle and uPortal -> in progress

by Arnaud Saint-Georges -
Bonjour Michael,

I currently integrate Moodle with a uPortal.
I am making an Esup-Portail channel interacting with Moodle.
(Esup-Portail is a French consortium in charge of producing a "numeric environment" for its students and staff, based on uPortal).
This channel will display (and link to) two things :
- enrollments for the user, as student and as teacher;
- "recent activity" in all the user's courses.
I plan to finish at the end of March.

From a technical point of view :
- the channel directly requests the Moodle database for data because of the lack of something like a webservice in Moodle;
- the channel could be probably used in any uPortal implementation.

In reply to Arnaud Saint-Georges

Re: First release of Moodle channel for uPortal

Bonjour,

The first release of Moodle channel for uPortal is in production in some French universities since April.
It can be downloaded here:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/projects/cmoodle/
Here is the documentation:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/docman/?group_id=254

I would be happy to have some feedback.

Arnaud
In reply to Arnaud Saint-Georges

Re: First release of Moodle channel for uPortal

by Johnbin Wang -
I am also working on intergating moodle with uPortal, and I also find the "cmoodle" project . But it is released in French and I cannot read it and setup it. It's a pity困乏
In reply to Johnbin Wang

Re: Moodle channel for uPortal

Bonjour smile Johnbin,

The last version of Moodle channel for uPortal (1.1.1) was released on January 12th.
It can be downloaded here:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/frs/?group_id=254&release_id=665
Here is the project site:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/projects/cmoodle/
Here is the documentation, in English:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/docman/?group_id=254

Currently, the channel is not compatible with Moodle 1.7 and further.
The next release (2.0) compatible with Moodle 1.7, should be available on February.

Sorry Johnbin, although the documentation is in English, the discussion is bilingual, French and English. And also the Java-comments are in French but it could be shortly translated if necessary.
What problems have you encountered? Have you really downloaded it and try to install it and set up? Please, post your results and question in English into the projet site forum:
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/forum/forum.php?forum_id=781
We would be happy to help you.

Amicalement,
Arnaud

by Owen Stephens -
We've developed a channel for Luminis (the SunGard HE version of uPortal) which displays the current Moodle courses a student is registered on, and provides a link through to course level.
Moodle channel in uPortal illustration

No SSO unfortunately at the moment, but we are working on a CAS implementation so that the sign-on can be handled outside both the Moodle and Luminis.
In reply to Owen Stephens

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi all,

Have anyone tried to compare with Moodle + uPortal 4.0.13 versus Moodle + Drupal7? It looks like both have integration codes around, but just wondering which combination would work better (according to your experience)?

Thanks!

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Never mind, I think I was comparing orange to apple. These two (uPortal and Drupal) are designed for very different purpose, and even some people had tried to customize Drupal to make it like a SIS (Drupal/CiviCRM), but I don't think it's fair to compare both.

Probably a better comparison would be openSIS and uPortal. Has anyone tried to compare these two (especially when integrated with Moodle)? Or, is there any stable php-based open-source Student Information Systems out there (e.g. RosarioSIS, which I haven't tried)? Thanks!

Wen