Tracking student progress vertically through time

Tracking student progress vertically through time

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 2

In a Moodle 1.9 course selecting a student participant from the list of participants displayed a tabbed view with Profile | Edit profile | Forum posts | Activity reports | Roles. Having selected Activity reports my teacher would click 'Complete report' and view all the contents of graded and ungraded online assignments in the order they appeared in the course. Here's why this was useful for him:

"This enabled me to see at a glance how a student was responding to successive online assignments -- sometimes the quality of writing would decline markedly and I could pick this up"

"Also I could grade successive assignments by student and note how they were progressing"

Thus this display of Activity afforded an approach which made possible grading by student rather than by assignment.

Now we're at moodle 2.5.1 and the Outline report (Administration : Profile settings for [student user]>  Activity reports > Complete report shows only the first week and we're currently at week four. Ditto, the Outline report only show the first week.

I think what I'm seeing here is a bug. It seems to me that the display of Activities is rudely truncated. I'll upload some screenshots later today which illustrate the problem better. If the 'Complete report' showed all the Assignment activities (as I would hope it should do) then we'd be home and dry.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Tracking student progress vertically through time

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: Tracking student progress vertically through time

by Mark Pearson -

Thank you for the link to this plugin. The reporting plugin looks *very* interesting although it doesn't address what I was looking for. But I think that I posted this into the wrong forum because it's not really an analytics issue -- maybe I should post it to the User Profiles forum.

Here are the Screenshots I was referring to:

Moodle 1.9 User Profile activity report:

Actitivy report for User in Moodle 1.9

All the Online assignment postings are displayed in reverse chronological order here.

Moodle 2.5 Actvity report > Outline

Moodle 2

Here there are several weeks missing after 24 August.

I think it's a bug in the Questionnaire -- when I move the Questionnaire activity down the Weekly Outline the assignments and forums listed before it are displayed and those listed after the Questionnaire are not.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)