Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 66
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK, this is it! :-|

I am definitely going to branch for Moodle 1.5 Beta in 24 hours, barring something really really important ... we have to move on with this thing.

Once we branch then there will be no new features in the branch - just super-concentrated bug fixing for a couple of weeks (at most).

The help of everyone looking after various parts of Moodle would be appreciated in kicking this release through the posts.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
IMHO we should fix all the whitespace in source code just before the braching, because it makes merging a nightmare. There are are tons of tabs, trailing whitespace and window line endings sad
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good idea! I fix when I see it but haven't seen much recently.

I'm heading to bed just now - anyone want to tackle that?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm seeking and destroying all those tabs just now.

Perhaps developers could take a look to the list of 1.4.4 Un-merged files to merge/update the tag as needed too?

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
... here is a little script that does all the work - just store it in admin directory, open and go wink

(tested only under windoze)

PS: fixed my unmerged file preview.php
In reply to Petr Skoda

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
...too late... sad

I've deleted all tabs (except from some 3rd party libraries and some export formats).

Anyway, your code seems really good and we could use it to strip whitespace, Win32 lines separator and the last line problem.

About tabs, and after my "brute" experience, I'm not sure about changing every tab to 4 cc. I've found a lot of scripts where tabs were 2 or 8 characters!!

Ciao smile

PD: My fingers cannot stop! They are typing continuously:

:1,$s/^^I/    /g
n
n
:wn

tongueout big grin wink clown surprise

by Martín Langhoff -
Going through it. There is one unmerged patch in lib/moodlelib.php I am not sure about... Perhaps MD can confirm we don't need it. The code block it patches is gone ;)

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php?r1=1.338.2.62&r2=1.338.2.63&only_with_tag=MOODLE_14_STABLE

All the other commits in moodlelib are merged.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by John Papaioannou -
I reviewed it. The code in that function was rearranged and this made it confusing, but the patch was actually merged in 1.5. One less to go.

by Martín Langhoff -
Anotherone for MD. What's the status of PDF serving nowadays?

On head, lib/filelib.php will send "Accept-Ranges: none", but this commit to STABLE hints at problems with it:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/file.php?rev=1.22.2.5&only_with_tag=MOODLE_14_STABLE&view=log

I have merged the other commit from STABLE to HEAD, but skipped this one.

With this I'm donewith my part of the cleanup. I merged and/or moved the tag as required. Most things were already in HEAD anyway. I did my patches, and those patches that I could read & understand.

Stuff in SCORM (Bobo), html2text, htmlarea (julmis) I have left for the affected ppl to deal with wink

(Also moved the tags for lang files.)

by Petr Skoda -
Accept-Ranges did not work on one site, I reverted it quickly to prevent problems on STABLE. It could be a server/proxy problem. I would like to find out, what the problem was - IMHO we should leave it as none for now. If people report any problems I can remove it before final release.

To Eloy: The tab width is not consistent, I know - but I was too lazy to do it by hand wink

skodak

by Penny Leach -
I've tagged the ones I knew about, with the exception of one, in mod/quiz/db/postgres7.php (after two attempts to get the diff to paste, I give up)

It's an inccorectly named constraint (missing prefix). In stable, I've renamed it and added in an upgrade to drop it and create it properly.

I need to merge this into HEAD and then I'll move the tag. I'll do it tonight.

by John Papaioannou -
Made a pass through that as well, reviewed and tagged stuff all around. Updated the Wiki.

Several files were correctly tagged as MERGED despite being present in the Wiki. Obviously someone beat me to them; I just removed them from the Wiki list.

by John Papaioannou -
Wouldn't it be more convenient if it was simply tagged instead of forked now, and forked upon the official 1.5 release? If you fork, we 'll have to commit each bugfix twice.

Unless of course people intend to commit new features from now until the release. But even then, it would maybe be better to concentrate on polishing the beta instead.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Martin Dougiamas -
We have been concentrating on polishing the beta in HEAD for months now .... wink

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok - I take it you will announce when this has happened?

I'm a bit shaky on cvs with branches, so can I just get an 'idiot check' on this.. Once we have branched what will be the procedure for committing fixes to CVS? Do we just commit to the 1.5beta branch and then 'someone' will merge everything back to Head later on, or do we need to commit everything twice. I slightly lost the plot in the CVS instructions when it came to merging back to Head.

Please excuse cvs ignorance, but I don't want to be the guy to screw it up!!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, I'll announce it. Phew, where has the day gone?

Once we branch I would highly advise switching to the branch for your test sites (cvs -q update -dP -r MOODLE_15_STABLE) so that your fixes go straight into the branch.

You should also merge them across to HEAD at the same time. I find it convenient to keep a second tree checked out to HEAD (cvs -q update -dPA), so that after making a checkin to file.php I go to the trunk tree and issue:

cvs -q update -kk -j MOODLE_15_MERGED -j MOODLE_15_STABLE file.php

then check in the merged changes to the trunk

cvs commit file.php

then go back to the MOODLE_15_STABLE tree and update the merged flag:

cvs tag -F MOODLE_15_MERGED file.php
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok - so ALL versions that are sent to STABLE and then to HEAD will also have the MOODLE_15_MERGED tag?

Think I get it smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes.  We had the MOODLE_14_MERGED for the 1.4 branch. 

The tag is applied to each file and marks the state of that file the last time it was merged across. This makes it easy to identify what hasn't been merged later, and to merge it across to the trunk.

It's like making a notch on a real branch so that you can see all the new growth that's extended from that point.

by Howard Miller -

Is that what you mean? I thought this meant , "merge changes from the revision specified with the first -j option to the revision specified with the second j option, into the working directory." But, the file hasn't been tagged with MOODLE_15_MERGED yet (that being your last step), so how will that do anything?

When I try this - I get:

cvs [update aborted]: no such tag MOODLE_15_MERGED

Why can I not simply copy the updated file from my 15_STABLE tree to my HEAD tree and do another (simple) commit?

Sorry - being very dense here probably sad

by Martin Dougiamas -
> Why can I not simply copy the updated file from my
> 15_STABLE tree to my HEAD tree and do another (simple) commit?

Because other people may have made changes to the HEAD version, and this would simply overwrite all their work (probably breaking something)! Please, please, be careful Howard ... smile

About the initial MOODLE_15_MERGED tag - that's my fault, I forgot to add that tag to the new branch earlier today. But I've done it now (it's just running)

by Howard Miller -
Ahh... of course - having thought about it for a millisecond I see! (surely that would just produce a 'not up to date' error though??)

I intend to be careful smile

Hence all the stupid questions! See my last reply - have I buggered it up then? Hope not!

by Martin Dougiamas -
I deleted the other post because it could mislead someone. wink

Just use the commands I posted above (including the MOODLE_15_MERGED tag business, it's important).

A quick diagram for versions of a particular file:

/------------------------M------S 1.5 branch
>==================================H Trunk

S = most recent version of the branch
M = the point it was last merged
H = most recent version of the trunk

When you merge to the trunk using

then all the changes between M and S get added to H, so you can commit it into the Trunk.

That's when you go back to the branch and issue:

cvs tag -F MOODLE_15_MERGED file.php

as this will move the Merged tag up to S, like this:

/-------------------------------MS 1.5 branch
>==================================H Trunk

so that any future merges will not try and merge the same changes again.

Does that help? Someone should really make a nice tutorial with lots of pictures.

by Howard Miller -
Yes - I'm there - definitely (this time)! I think you just wrote the tutorial smile

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Martin -

I executed the first CVS command you had posted here - not the ones you have now. Not being as familiar with CVS as I would like to be, will this have screwed up anything on my installation?

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Moodle 1.5 CVS

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry, Mike, which command did you execute? Do you mean this one to switch your installation onto the 1.5 branch?

cvs -q update -dP -r MOODLE_15_STABLE

by Mike Churchward -
Actually, I think it was just:
cvs update -r MOODLE_15_STABLE

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
That's actually what I type, because I've added a .cvsrc file to all my Unix home directories containing this:

diff -c
update -dP

So that -dP is always added to my cvs updates (and my diffs are always context diffs). I have to keep reminding myself to add -dP manually when describing the CVS commands to other people.

-d is will descend into new directories and create them
-P will prune empty directories completely

by Mike Churchward -
I usually use '-dP'. I just figured there was a reason you didn't specify it.

Anyway, is my installation okay after that? Or should I do something else?

mike

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers
Could please anybody explain what I must do in the TortoiseCVS client for windows? I don't use the command line.

Especially what do I have to do when I want to commit updates?
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Gustav W Delius -
First of all you need both a 1.5 and a 1.6 sandbox. To get those follow the following steps.
  1. Make a copy of your current Moodle 1.5 directory and rename it to something like moodle16
  2. Right-click on your original Moodle 1.5 directory and choose "Update special" from the CVS menu.
  3. Check the "Get tag/branch/revision" checkbox and then click on "Update list"
  4. Choose MOODLE_15_STABLE from the drop-down and click on OK. This will now switch this directory over to the 1.5 branch.

Now you will do your bug fixing in the Moodle 1.5 directory. However you also want to update Moodle 1.6 at the same time so the procedure is as follows:
  1. Make changes in your Moodle 1.5 directory and commit the changed file as usual.
  2. Go to the same file in the Moodle 1.6 directory, right-click on it and choose "Merge" from the CVS menu.
  3. Choose "MOODLE_15_MERGED" in the "Start" drop-down menu (use the "Update lists.." button if it is not there)
  4. Leave the "End" field empty and click OK. This will merge the changes you made into the 1.6 file.
  5. Commit this changed file as usual.
Finally you want to make sure that this same change is not merged again next time which would lead to conflicts. So you have to tag the changed file in the Moodle 1.5 branch. For this you:
  1. Go to the changed file in the Moodle 1.5 directory
  2. Right-click on it and choose "Tag" from the CVS menu
  3. Choose the "Move existing tag" radio button.
  4. Choose "MOODLE_15_MERGED" from the drop-down menu and click OK.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Urs Hunkler -

Gustav, thank you very much. I got it wink

Nearly, your wrote: "4. Choose MOODLE_15_STABLE from the drop-down and click on OK. This will now switch this directory over to the 1.5 branch."

Do I have to make the switch only once and can I then do normal updates or do I have to use "Update special..." for a 1.5 update every time?

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by John Papaioannou -
Only once, Urs. Subsequent updates will remember this.

Gustav, I think you are by now a world-class expert in explaining Tortoise usage! big grin

moving the merged tag on 1.5

by Penny Leach -
Please can developers make sure they move the merged tag?

I just changed moodlelib and went to move the merge tag, only to find that my change wasn't alone in the diff between merged & stable.

Whoever belongs to the other unmerged stuff, my change is safe to merge, & it looks like:

- if ($md5check = substr($modargs, -16)) {
+ if ($md5check == substr($modargs, -16)) {

And the other unmerged stuff looks to me like it's in HEAD but I don't want to move the tag just in case. It has to do with auth_get_userinfo

smile

Penny

Edit: found the culprit and I have tagged it as merged, sorry for the noise smile
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: moving the merged tag on 1.5

by John Papaioannou -
I second that motion, I 've come upon the same issue as well.

The full commit/merge/commit/move tag ritual is annoying (for me at least wink), but let's all try to do it.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Delays, delays.

I just finally got to finishing and checking in the one main thing I had left to do, which was the code so that the Online Assignment module could cannibalise all the Journals and assume their form(s).

It's not well tested yet at all but I need to sleep, can you please bang on it overnight using TEST DATA!

Create a lot of journals, fill them with data, then upgrade to the latest CVS. You should see them all converted to Online Assignments, with the data intact, and the Journals dissappear (they are still there, just the whole module is hidden).

by Martín Langhoff -
Please, ping me before branching. I'll be on Skype.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Can't reach you ... given a few raw things in the tree and the fact that I'm catching a plane in an hour (to Sydney to work with the LAMS people) I'll leave the branch just a little longer.

Keep cracking those bugs, compadres!

by Martín Langhoff -
Sounds reasonable to me. I was away for a meeting for 3hs. Sorry.

Olson fix is coming, and tomorrow Patrick will be upgrading a few copies of production databases to test Postgres upgrade path.

by Chardelle Busch -
Martin,

Just upgraded and the Journal -> Assignment went just fine, no error messages or anything, just the nice little explanation about the conversionsmile. Then, when I went to add an assignment:
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '
Notice: Undefined property: var2 in /home/c

INSERT INTO mdl_assignment ( COURSE, NAME, DESCRIPTION, FORMAT, ASSIGNMENTTYPE, RESUBMIT, PREVENTLATE, EMAILTEACHERS, VAR1, VAR2, VAR3, VAR4, VAR5, MAXBYTES, TIMEDUE, TIMEAVAILABLE, GRADE, TIMEMODIFIED ) VALUES ( 3, 'Assignment', '', 1, 'online', 1, 0, 0, 1,
Notice: Undefined property: var2 in /home/cbusch/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/mod.html on line 167
Notice: Undefined property: var3 in /home/cbusch/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/mod.html on line 168
Notice: Undefined property: var4 in /home/cbusch/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/mod.html on line 169
Notice: Undefined property: var5 in /home/cbusch/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/mod.html on line 170
, 1024000, 1117035900, 1116431100, 100, 1116430916 )

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Gustav W Delius -
Yes, this is bug 3166
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Chardelle Busch -
I just started over, re-installed 1.4.3, created a journal, then upgraded to 2005051500.

Everything seems fine now. I was able to add an assignment. I'll note this in the bugtracker, Gustav.

Uhm,

curiosly I haden't any journal in my test site, but the update process said:

"...It has been disabled on your site, and the 1 Journal activites you had..."

Ciao smile

by Teemu Sumi -
I tested it and the Journals are now Assignments. With Mozilla, texts in the blocks come out of the box. With IE, Blocks of the right side  are in middle of the page and  there's nothing on the right side. So there are theme problems.

Some warnings when updating:

assignment module needs upgrading

(mysql): SELECT name FROM mdl_config WHERE name = 'assignment_online_version'  

(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_config WHERE id = '-1'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_config ( NAME, VALUE ) VALUES ( 'assignment_online_version', '0' )  

(mysql): SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()  

(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_journal  

Notice: Undefined variable: journal in d:\ohjelmatiedostot\easyphp1-7\www\moodle\mod\assignment\type\online\db\mysql.php on line 13

Notice: Undefined variable: journal in d:\ohjelmatiedostot\easyphp1-7\www\moodle\mod\assignment\type\online\db\mysql.php on line
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
These warnings are fixed. As for the themes, make sure you reload them from cache or clear the cache in your browser. You are using old versions.

by Teemu Sumi -
Yes, themes were old ones. Do you have ideas why they weren't updated?

Teemu

by Martín Langhoff -
Just committed a fix (from Patrick Li) for a bug in table_column() that broke field renames in Postgres.

by N Hansen -
It's been 5 days...what happened?
In reply to N Hansen

by Gustav W Delius -
It appears that it hasn't been necessary to branch. Developers have been getting the message and have stopped contributing new features over the last few days in order to concentrate on fixing bugs. This is a much preferable state of affairs to having to branch early because it means fewer merges of bug fixes back to HEAD. So I guess if we keep the discipline then Martin will be able to put off the branching for a bit longer.
In reply to N Hansen

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Only developers are supposed to read this topic, Nicole!!  wink  wink  wink
We other helpless ones can peek in, but let's not be too demanding.   smile  smile  smile
(actually I have a feeling a conference had an effect...)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Urs Hunkler -

"(actually I have a feeling a conference had an effect...)"

Don, you riddle. Could you please involve me?

In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
I've been in Sydney for the past few days and quite busy. Since I'm back I've been trying to catch up. We will branch very soon because I want to bring in new testers.

Olson files update - Re: Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

by Martín Langhoff -
We had a Skype chat with Jon, and he identified and fixed an odd bug the Olson parser code. We should regenerate the timezones.txt file. I don't know how you are handling it, though.

Re: Olson files update - Re: Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

by Martin Dougiamas -
Where can I get the latest olson.txt from? (as a single file) The versions on the official site are more messy. I've used the one you posted in the forums recently (seems to give a few more entries now! wink)

What I do is update my server with that, then dump the timezones.txt file from phpmyadmin and then update CVS with that. The latest CVS version is also displayed at http://download.moodle.org/timezones

Re: Olson files update - Re: Moodle 1.5 Branch in 24 hours

by Martín Langhoff -
What you'll need is a shell script that goes:

mkdir /tmp/tztmp &&
pushd /tmp/tztmp &&
wget --passive "ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2005i.tar.gz" &&
tar -xvzf tzdata2005i.tar.gz &&
(cat africa antarctica asia australasia europe northamerica southamerica | grep -v '^\(#\|Link\)' > olson.txt ) &&
cp olson.txt somewhere/olson.txt
popd
rm -fr /tmp/tztmp

My only problem with this is that they don't seem to have a symlink to the latest one. Really annoying, we need to manually check their page for changes.

Also, the page contains other related files that change often, so a script that alerts use whenever the index changes (dupdate-style) isn't useful either. I wonder if they have an announcement list. Can't find it, though.

Moodle 1.5 Branch done!

by Martin Dougiamas -
OK, the branching is done! The splitting point is called MOODLE_15_BETA, and the branch is called MOODLE_15_STABLE.

No database structure changes are allowed on the branch.

No new features are allowed on the branch (unless necessary to fix a bug).

Developers, please issue 'cvs update -r MOODLE_15_STABLE' on your main test sites to move to the new branch and help with debugging there, because the main trunk has now become MOODLE 1.6 Development.

Translators, you should stay on the Trunk and check all language changes into there.

People who do both - run two checkouts. smile

Re: Moodle 1.5 Branch done!

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

And I say congratulations with your new baby 1.5  Martin!

Let us all give an applause to Martin! And remember to join the bug terminator crew!

Warm regards
Jens

by Bill Burgos -
Congrats Martin,

I think a couple of pints of Guinness are in order. big grin

I will have one here for you too. tongueout

by Vu Hung -
Great! I'm running a test site of Moodle 1.5 Beta.

by Urs Hunkler -
Congratulations Martin.

This big step is taken - into the direction of a great Moodle future smile

by N Hansen -
While I've got all you developers' attention here in this thread, could someone please take a look at bug 2714, which I reported a couple months ago? It seems to me to be a pretty serious flaw in the new site policy that could scare a lot of guests away from Moodle sites if it isn't fixed. If you don't consider it a bug or won't fix it until 1.6, at least I would like to know that, so I can see about hacking it in my own Moodle.