Adding new fields?

Adding new fields?

by Jim Proctor -
Number of replies: 4
I'm running Questionnaire 2005030101 (downloaded last wknd, so it should be current) in Moodle 1.5; this is a great module! But for some reason I can't figure out how to add more than one field (question) to a questionnaire. So: once I've defined all attributes to my liking, how do I save a question and move on to defining the next question? The "New Field" button at top and bottom of the form do not seem to do this for me, and I can't find the answer in the module doc's nor on the phpESP site.

Thanks,

Jim P.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Proctor

Re: Adding new fields?

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sounds like you're in the right place...

As an example:

1) Add 'Q1' in the field name box.
2) Type 'Text Box'.
3) Length 10 (length of the text box).
4) Text 'Name:' (what gets displayed for the question).
5) Click 'New Field'.
6) Screen will clear and there will now be a '1' button next to the 'New Field' button. The '1' button takes me back to the question I just entered, otherwise I can continue to enter this question.
7) When you're done entering, click the 'Save and Return' button.
8) Click 'Save Changes'.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Jim Proctor -
Thanks, Mike; this is very helpful. For some reason I can successfully edit questions by using the Edit buttons in the Reorder Questions page, but when I use the question number buttons (e.g., 1, 2, etc.) in the Edit Questions page the question attributes are not successfully retrieved....often it seems to be the first question that's retrieved no matter which question number button I click.

Regards,

Jim P.
In reply to Jim Proctor

by James Robertson -

I am using 1.4.4 and seem to have the same problem intermittently.  This unable-to-move-to-a-new-field problem seems to attach to specific questions, but so far I can't find a pattern.  If I select Edit for one of the "stuck" questions from the Reorder Questions page, I still cannot get a new field.  I have to go back to Reorder Questions and select a non-stuck question, and from that point I can get a new field (and another and another etc).  I have not run into this problem while adding new fields in sequence, only after returning to a prior question and then trying to add a new field.

An additional question: after a question has been saved, I can't seem to change its type (e.g., from drop-down box to numeric).  I have to delete the question and then go back and add it again.  This typically happens when I have done several questions of the same type and then intend the next to be of a different type, but forget to change the default from the previous type.  Am I overlooking something, or is this intended, or is it a bug?

Thanks,

Jim Robertson.

In reply to James Robertson

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's very odd. If you can find a way to consistently duplicate it, let me know. I'll keep looking too.

As to changing types, I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. It could be quite difficult to perform the database manipulations necessary to do this.

mike