Hardware Architecture of Moodle (moodle.org) Site

Hardware Architecture of Moodle (moodle.org) Site

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Subject Says it All, if Anyone is aware of the Server/hardware architecture of this Moodle site, that will be very helpful in determining the requirements for a web based Moodle site. As I am looking for a similar web based solution, and best example to quote is this Moodle site as database servers in on continuous read/write, whilst in my case it would be read mostly and seldom writes (at least in the start), so I am not expecting too much of load on database.

Just wanted to know if anyone is aware of the setup that moodle.org is running on, that will be very much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Usman Asar

Re: Hardware Architecture of Moodle (moodle.org) Site

by Matt Spurrier -

Hi,

Our infrastructure is customised and very scalable in order to handle significant load, and may be significantly out of scope for what you may need.

That said, we are currently running in a clustered environment consisting of 2 application servers, 2 gluster filesystem servers, 3 database servers, and a memcache server, with gluster and database servers having 48gb ram each, 16 cores, and 480gb SSDs on gigabit links, application servers being 16gb ram 160gb SSD, 8 cores, and the memcache server being the same as the application server in specs.

This clustered environment does not just run moodle.org, aside from the application nodes the rest are shared resources within the Moodle network.

I'd encourage you to seek assistance from a local Moodle services partner for assistance with rolling out Moodle on your own infrastructure.

You can find a list of Moodle partners at http://moodle.com/partners/

Kind Regards,

Matt

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Spurrier

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Many Thanks Matt, Much appreciated for your time to explain in detail about hardware, yes it is different from my perspective, but having idea of what is engine running behind really helps determining the requirements.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Usman

In reply to Usman Asar

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Asar,

I just would add that you need to take into account that moodle.org uses only forums, basically; so they do not need to worry about videos, quizzes, SCORM files or any other kind of resource intensive activities.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)