Moodle documentation: About assignment comments: Will students be e-mailed?

Moodle documentation: About assignment comments: Will students be e-mailed?

by Federico Prat Villar -
Number of replies: 4
Hi! I'm a user of the Moodle system installed at UJI university ("AulaVirtual", Moodle 1.4.1+) and I think there's an assignment feature described in manuals that is not actually implemented. To be precise, "Moodle For Teachers, Trainers And Administrators" (V.1.4.3) says:

If we click the "View 5 submitted assignments" link on the right, this action will reveal a screen (Fig. 58) that allows the teacher to access each students uploaded assignment, grade this assignment and add feedback comments for the student to review. [...] once learner management functions are completed simply click the "Save all my feedback" button. Students will be e-mailed a message indicating the teacher has commented/graded their assignment.

Well, I add comments to my students' uploaded assignments and students are not e-mailed at all sad. I first thought it was a bug in UJI's customization of Moodle, but a local administrator told me that it seems to be no code in Moodle trying to indicate students that their uploadings have been commented, neither in AulaVirtual nor in Moodle 1.5, so maybe it's just a case of "optimistic documentation"... wink

Be happy!

Fede
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federico Prat Villar

Re: Moodle documentation: About assignment comments: Will students be e-mailed?

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Fede,

This function is definitely present. Has your administrator set up a cron job on your server? Try this http://path_to_the_admin_folder_in_your_moodle/cron.php, and look at the on screen messages to see if an email has been sent.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

Well, I feel somehow stupid now sad Thanks for your quick response, I have reproduced your post in our local Moodle forum and I'm faithfully praying for some administrator to take care of this pooooooooor user.

Am I suposed to have at least read access to my local Moodle "admin_folder" without being an administrator (ie just a teacher using Moodle)? Being "http://aulavirtual.uji.es" the name of the local Moodle site... is there a "typical" path I should try first?

Thanks again!

Fede
In reply to Federico Prat Villar

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi,

We're really in the wrong forum for this now, this sort of thing is better discussed in "Using Moodle" (where you'll find people much more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am).

However, if you make a change to some assessment feedback, wait until the editing period has expired (normally 30 minutes) and then go to http://aulavirtual.uji.es/admin/cron.php you should see a message to the effect that something has been sent out (can't remember the exact wording). If not, time to speak to your site admin.....

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

> We're really in the wrong forum for this now

I agree with you, sorry, I'm going to enrol the proper course instead of this documentation one.

Bye!

Fede

PS: And, again, thanks for your responses.