Mass and multiple uploads to users' "Private Files"

Mass and multiple uploads to users' "Private Files"

by Luis Castillo -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to quickly distribute progress reports (or any other applicable data) to users.

I'm hopeful that there is a process similar to the uploading of pictures for users.

It would be so great if an administrator can upload a zip containing all progress reports (matched with an attribute of course) to be placed in their respective locations. That way students can log in and access their report cards (Possibly PDF format) from their Private Files. Following that, would it also be possible to rename the "My Private Files"? I'm thinking "My Files and Reports".

Looking forward to your thoughts, solutions, and or alternatives.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis Castillo

Re: Mass and multiple uploads to users' "Private Files"

by Derek Chirnside -

This is a very good question.

First, I'd check out the plugins.  You really want a solution that goes input data into Moodle (ie grading) and then making them available.  Maybe something to do with outcomes?

IMO: avoid creating separate PDF's and importing them.  Too much like hard work.

Maybe start here: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Outcomes

Good luck

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Luis Castillo -

Thanks for you input, I'll look into this.

In my case we have another student management program that we use for student information such as financial, grades, attendance, schedules and everything else. Obviously though, it does not take care of course management for us.

So currently we need to print out reports for our students, its easy but time and resource consuming. In an effort to be more efficient and save some trees, we would like to provide these reports via Moodle. I would need only to export the reports in bulk and upload them to Moodle.

Thanks again.

by Derek Chirnside -

Or: create them in Moodle and export them to your SMS.

Advice: minimise your hacks and changes to core code.  It's a problem for the future.

-Derek

by Graham Bowman -

Could you create an assignment on the front page with no grade and no submission files or comments (like the old offline assignment) but enable feedback files. Then you can bulk upload feedback (See http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Assignment_settings#Uploading_multiple_feedback_files). 

You might need to upload a dummy assignment by one pupil and 'download all assignments' to get the naming convention correct. Then you could use a tool to rename each of the PDFs to match this convention, Automator on osx would do this. 

In reply to Graham Bowman

by Luis Castillo -

THANK YOU!!!

This turns out to be a great solution. Looks clean and works well.

However I have a problem with the naming convention. It seems the scheme involves a number that is auto generated I think. I'm guessing its part of the "participant id" as explained on the moodle help popup. For example, the following would be a user's submission file name:

Firstname Lastname_3_assignsubmission_file_Filenameofchoice.pdf

The number "3" I believe is auto generated or not sure where it comes from. So my question is: Is there a way to pull up a list of these "participant IDs"?

I don't think I'll be willing to submit a dummy file from each user, then download all submissions just to get the correct "participant IDs". Lol.

Thanks again for your help.

by Graham Bowman -

Good point. The number is their ID in the database. You could export the table and import it into excel?