Adding Degree Program & Semesters

Adding Degree Program & Semesters

by M Adil Mazhar -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, I'm a new user here and gonna start using moodle for my first ever project which includes a learning management system as mostly universities have. I have to include "Degree Programs" & then "Semesters" in every Degree Program whereas moodle just have courses & categories.

I tried my best in searching a similar discussion but didn't found any suitable discussion in this regard. I'm sure that there will be any plugin etc used for adding degree programs & semester format in moodle as most of the universities of the world using moodle also have similar format.

Any guidance/help in this regard please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Adil Mazhar

Re: Adding Degree Program & Semesters

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Categories are just that and can be used to organise your courses in any way you choose - including sub-categories to whatever level you need. So one suggestion would be to have your degree programs as a top level category, semesters as a sub-category in each one and then the courses themselves inside the semesters.

It doesn't need a plugin, just organise your categories and courses the way you want them (I find a paper and pencil exercise or card decks a good place to start.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by M Adil Mazhar -

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes i got the same idea soon after posting my query here. But now i wanna give "Category" a name "Degree Program" and "Sub-category" as "Semester". How can i perform these tasks? Which is the file from where i have to edit these strings "Category" & "Sub-category"?

In reply to M Adil Mazhar

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by ranu jaiswal -
Hi Richard Oelmann,

I need to know the answer of these questions - 

-  If admin sets a semester start/end date, does those take priority over specific subject start/end date?
-          How does the same courses across multiple semesters get handled in the Moodle? Will the start/end date change dynamically at any time?
-          Moodle doesn’t have an end date, because it’s not possible to set one? Or because it depends on the semester end date? Is it possible to get semester end date?
-          Does tokens expire? If so, is there a way to get expiration date beforehand?

It is appreciable if you can help!!

Thanks...

In reply to ranu jaiswal

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not Richard but can maybe shed some light!

1. No.  Anything set at the course level will override default settings set by admin.

2. I think most just duplicate the courses each semester or reset the course each semester (if you do not need to keep the grade history).   When they are duplicated you have the option to change the start date (either during the restore process or in the upload courses feature - see documentation).  The assignment dates have to be changed manually however.  I have a project into the Moodle Users Association this round to try and add additional date changing functionality.

3.  Moodle 3.2 will bring in an end date for courses.

4. Tokens?  What tokens?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by ranu jaiswal -

Tokens are the admin tokens which we use to call API