Essential theme - 2.5.4 ready for testing

Essential theme - 2.5.4 ready for testing

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 15

Howdy all.

Just in time for the weekend I am announcing that testing is now underway on the 2.5.4 release of Essential.

Included in the new version is

• Ability to connect to Google Analytics

• Advanced Google Analytics function allowing Clean URL's for better reporting. Contributed by @basbrands and @ghenrick. More info on this feature can be found in this blog post. P.S. This is REALLY COOL.

• Significantky improved gradebook formatting.

• New "Frontpage Content" box to add custom content inbetween the slideshow and marketing spots. (just like on the http://imoot.org homepage). Many asked for this

• Many minor CSS Fixes

Important note: The theme will  requires Moodle 2.5.1 or higher

If you can help test or update the translations so we can get this released promptly then please check out the latest version on Github by clicking here.

I want to stress this is for TESTING. If you are not 100% confident with test code I would recommend waiting for the full release.

Regards

Julian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.4 ready for testing

by Herve Cachelin -

We can hardly keep up with all those upgrades you are providing. What is your day job? : )

Can you help me with the following: I would like to increase the width of the course pages if there is only one block column on the right. I imagine it is done in css, but how?

I saw in a post the following:

/** Only side pre **/

.side-pre-only #page-content #region-main-box {right: 0%;}
.side-pre-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box {right:78%;}
.side-pre-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-main {left:101%; width:76%;}
.side-pre-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-pre {left:3%; width:20%;}
.side-pre-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-post {width:0%;}

/** Only side post **/

.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box {right:0%;}
.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box {right:22%;}
.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-main {left:23%; width:76%;}
.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-pre {width: 0%;}
.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-post {left:25%;width:20%;}
.has_dock.side-post-only .page-middle #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-main {margin-left:22%;}

/** No blocks whatsoever **/

.content-only #page-content #region-main-box {right:0%;}
.content-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box {right:0%;}
.content-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-main {left:1%; width:98%;}
.content-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-pre {width:0%;}
.content-only #page-content #region-main-box #region-pre-box #region-post {width:0%;}

Would this work?

Please be patient with me - I have very little experience with css.

by Tomaz Trplan -

Hi,

I only just started playing with this so here's two issues i came up against so far:

- If you go to calendar/preferences.php, the navigation block is in the column left of the main content (it's enveloped in the <aside id="block-region-side-pre" ...>, as opposed to other pages where it's in the right-right column.

- Also, there's a new value (in CSS line 3317) for 

div.fitemtitle{text-align:left}.form-item .form-label,.mform .fitem div.fitemtitle,.userprofile dl.list dt,.form-horizontal .control-label 

which limits the width to 90px. If you look at the options on the same calendar/preferences page, you will notice that the width of the labels is too narrow. It looked better in version 2.5.3 where the fitemtitle class had a width of 180px.

Hope this helps,

Tom
In reply to Tomaz Trplan

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Julian,

I like this theme and highly appreciate the time and effort you put into it. I was able to use Google Analytics for the first time. Very interesting tool and thanks for adding the option in the settings page of the theme.

Here are two observations:

a) When I click on "All course," the course categories are shown in collapsed form. The arrow in front of Miscellaneous or Fall 2013 will not expand the categories. I prefer the immediate expanded view so that categories and their children are seen right away.

b) There is no "Turn editing on" button on this page, which means that I cannot move the categories up or down or hide them.

Here is a screenshot of /moodle/course/index.php without custom CSS:

Essential theme - All course categories

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by David Scotson -
I believe the non-expanding course categories is a Moodle bug, MDL-40750.
In reply to David Scotson

by Julian Ridden -

Just confirming David's comment that this is a Moodle bug, not to do with Essential.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Thanks for your reply, Julian. Is my second observation (no "turn editing on") also a Moodle bug?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hartmut,

The rule of 'thumb' with Bootstrapbase themes is to FIRST test in Clean theme, and SECOND test the Standard theme.

If you think it is a bug then report it in Moodle Tracker, Julian has already said this in an earlier post. Thanks Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply and advise. In this particular case I only compared "Turn editing on" with our life site, where Moodle 2.2 is installed. In future, if I see something in Essential (or any other theme)  I will first test it in the parent theme and then in Standard theme and, if I think, it looks like a bug, I will file a tracker report. 

I have no intention to wear out any developer. I probably need to get used to the tracker and hope to find the correct search terms as an ESL user. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Hartmut,

The Tracker search is easy once you get the hang of it.

First thing to do is set ...

• Project = MDL (Moodle)
  • Issue Type = All
  • Status = Open
  • Assignee = All
  • More Criteria = add Component
  • Component = Themes

You can then save this as a Filter for searching themes.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for more details. I saved two filters. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Tomaz Trplan

by Tomaz Trplan -

One other thing, the /admin/settings.php?section=theme_essential_social no longer has a box for Flickr, even though the $hasflickr function is still included in the header.php.

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is an issue with the Role Change Pop Up on the course page where you can see all the enrolled users.  Course > Users > Enrolled Users.  

When you click the "+" the pop up window is forced to the right of the page and causes a bottom scroll to see the pop up contents.

I put a ticket in:  https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-4573

This is a screen shot of the issue.  

Tested on Chrome and Firefox latest.  Moodle 2.5.1 +

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

I was looking at the CSS and somewhere there is a width setting for .container which sets it to 940px and another that uses 1170px.

.container, .navbar-static-top .container, .navbar-fixed-top .container, .navbar-fixed-bottom .container {
    width940px;}

And
.container, .navbar-static-top .container, .navbar-fixed-top .container, .navbar-fixed-bottom .container {
    width1170px;
}

Removing these width values seems to fix the pop up but may break some other feature.  I was using firebug to find the css.
Attachment essential - Users Change course roles.jpg

by Nano A -

Would like to put out a quick message to Julian to say a BIG THANKS! smile

Love this theme and I was one of the people that asked for:

• New "Frontpage Content" box to add custom content inbetween the slideshow and marketing spots. (just like on the http://imoot.org homepage). Many asked for this

I'm almost ready to put this now in one of my live sites now!

Thank you Julian! smile

by Julian Ridden -

OK. I am forcing myself to stop tinkering. I am putting 2.5.4 into code freeze now while we work out the last few bugs. Here is the updated feature list for the upcoming 2.5.4 release.

New in 2.5.4

• Display current enrolled courses in dropdown menu and choose terminology (modules, courses, classes or units)

• New 'My Dashboard" in custommenu provides quick links to student tools. Can be disabled in theme settings.

• Alerts for users can be added to te frontpage. (Originally dreamed up by Shaun Daubney and re-coded by me)

• Theme options to connect to Google Analytics

• Advanced Google Analytics function allowing Clean URL's for better reporting. Contributed by @basbrands and @ghenrick. More info on this feature can be found in this blog post

• Significantly improved gradebook formatting

• Back to top button for course pages

• New "Frontpage Content" box to add custom content inbetween the slideshow and marketing spots.
  • STILL IN PROGRESS: Adding docking features back. Needing some real help on this one. May have to be pushed out of this release

Fixes in 2.5.4

• Fix to frontpage slideshow. First slide now loads properly.

• Updated include method to minimse conflicts with 3rd party plugins

• Code significanty optimised. (about 1/5 less lines!)

• Many CSS Fixes

• IMPORTANT: Theme requires Moodle 2.5.1 or higher

I need a hand getting the last few bugs squared away and some additional testers. If you think you can help please update the tracker with your findings or pull requests to github.

Regards

Julian (moodleman)

P.S. If your a social networker. Please help get the word out on twitter. Just tag @moodleman if you can. The more we can get testing and bug fixing on this the faster I can get it released!