[RELEASE] Aardvark 2.5 (Bootstrap)

[RELEASE] Aardvark 2.5 (Bootstrap)

by Shaun Daubney -
Number of replies: 23

A new version of Aardvark has been released. It's kind of a big departure from previous versions as it uses Bootstrap as a base and is more of a customisation than a full theme now.

Only works with Moodle 2.5 or higher so please consider that before upgrading.

New features are:

• Bootstrap based codebase
  • Fixed width is gone forever (Mary will be pleased)
  • Profile bar is now a smaller dropdown
  • Options to add alerts for all students on frontpage
  • Changes to social icons

I'm sure I've missed stuff, but check it out...

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_aardvark

See it at http://vle.newbury-college.ac.uk/

Attachment screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: [RELEASE] Aardvark 2.5 (Bootstrap)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hey Shaun this is looking really good...I tested it last night!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Julian Ridden -

As usual Shaun your latest update is full of WIN! Loving the new features you added as well.

Would you mind if I borrowed your alerts idea and also added that to Essential? Happy to keep it out if you would prefer to keep it as an Aardvark bonus.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Shaun Daubney -

No not at all, share and share alike. Your side block icons inspired mine. Very promising and interesting theme.

by Trevor Wilson -

Looks great!  Very clean!

One small issue:  Your alerts aren't responding to multilang span tags in their content... which is a showstopper for me as a government university with a bilingual requirement.

Is this something you'd be able to hook me up with a fix for?

Kindest regards,

Trevor

In reply to Trevor Wilson

by Shaun Daubney -

Sorry, I have absolutely no experience with the multilang span tags. I looked at it this morning and it seems to put the code there, just don't know why it doesn't render it.

by Abhinandan Dubey -

The theme is great !

But one issue:

How come you're saying it's bootstrap based ? When I used classes "col-md-6" or something, it doesn't work like bootstrap.

Moreover, if I include bootstrap.min.css in head.php, the classes for div work fine but surprisingly the website menu disappears.

Help ? Anyone ?

In reply to Abhinandan Dubey

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The bootstrapbase theme is the parent for Aardvark and that is based on Bootstrap2, while the col-md-6 style of grid that you have tried to use is Bootstrap3.

Adding the bootstrap.min.css to the head - probably meaning you have added the bootstrap3 css and this is likely to cause clashes with the existing bootstrap2 and meaning that some parts will cease to work, as you found with the menu.

http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffolding.html#gridSystem - Bootstrap2

http://getbootstrap.com/css/#grid - Bootstrap3

In reply to Trevor Wilson

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is not a theme problem is more than probable that you have written it incorrectly. There cannot be spaces between the different span tags, in other words they need to be all strung together.

<span class="multi-lang" lang="it">buon giorno</span><span class="multi-lang" lang="en">goodmorning</span>

However, that said it could also be related to the way custom settings are processed and so do not recognise multi-lang text, which is, more or less, a Moodle BUG.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Trevor Wilson -

Hi, Mary

No, the tags are done correctly.  

<span class="multi-lang" lang="en">English</span><span class="multi-lang" lang="fr">French</span>

results in the attached.

I'll look into the custom settings processing as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Trevor

Attachment EF.png

by David Challoner -

Shaun this is a great theme and I've followed aardvark for a while.

However I'm having an issue with this theme when viewed on my 1280x1024 monitor, I feel that there isn't enough room for the central section of the text, where do I alter the widths (I know it's fluid from comments above).

by Martin H -

I tried to search for my answer in moodle forums but didn't find any answer. so sorry if it's stupid.

I was using aardvark 2.3 on my site and I was really happy with it. Last night when I checked my Moodle's notification page, I saw that there's an update for the aardark theme. so I updated it.

But it seems that the new aardvark theme is a totally different theme. it doesn't look like an update to the theme I was using as almost everything is changed.

I'm not saying that the new theme is not good. what I say is that it is just different from the 2.3 version I was using. shouldn't it be listed as a different theme?

Sorry if I've missed something.

In reply to Martin H

by Mary Evans -

You are quite correct it should have a different name as it is a totally different theme from the standard version it was prior to Bootstrap themes coming on board, which is what the new Aardvark theme is based on.

If nothing else it should, like a packet of cigarettes, carry a warning. Installing this theme will overwrite all the original files of your previous theme with the same name.

You will have problems now as the new theme will have updated the database with the new version and will not allow you to downgrade it, unless you do that manually, assuming you have a copy of your previous version?

Cheers

Mary

by Stephen Poynter -

Awesome awesome theme.  I'm having one issue though I'm hoping someone can help me with.  On the My Moodle page when a user is customizing the blocks on their page, the little icon in a block that allows a user to move the block to the middle of the page is missing.  You can still drag and drop blocks to the left and right though.  I've noticed when the page first loads after clicking the customize button that a little blue cross shows up for a split second and then disappears.  I had to switch to the standard theme to fix a layout issue for a user and then switch back to the aardvark theme.  In the attached image notice that the middle block has the blue cross while the other blocks do not.  So, if this block gets accidentally moved to the left or right by the user they can never move it back.  I hope that makes sense as I'm about to fall asleep :P

Attachment mymoodle.jpg
In reply to Stephen Poynter

by David Scotson -
I think that's mostly a core Moodle bug / design decision, though there is something weird going on.

The move arrow that lets you move blocks without dragging (you click the block you want to move, then click where you want it to go) is supposed to disappear when javascript is active in favour of drag'n'drop. Instead you're supposed to just know that you can drag blocks and grab them somewhere around the title.

I'd guess in this case something is breaking the javascript in the center column to stop it removing that icon and perhaps also stopping it being used as a drop-target for blocks coming from the sides. This is very easy to do if you rename a class in a div that surrounds the target of the javascript.

(Interestingly this all seems to be broken on the very latest core Moodle in development, qa.moodle.net is showing a similar issue but the icon remains everywhere).
In reply to David Scotson

by Stephen Poynter -

I guess I just assumed something weird was going on with the Aardvark theme since when I switched back to the standard theme everything seemed to work.  If I get a chance to play around with it more I'll see if I can figure anything else out.

In reply to Stephen Poynter

by Richard Penhale -

Has anyone experienced an issue where Chrome displays the page perfectly but IE10 doesn't I have posted a couple of screenshots to illustrate the issue.

Internet Explorer 10

Chrome

chrome ardvark 2.5

In reply to Richard Penhale

by Mary Evans -

IE is a breed apart. Yes it was one of the earlier browsers, but sadly uses a completely different 'Box Modal' than all the other browsers. You need to read about it by searching Google and you will be amased at what it can and cannot do.  In some things like Fonts it was the only browser that used the sort of fonts that we have been wanting to use in Moodle for yeats. But that is another story.

IE can also go into Quirks Mode when something in a web page layout triggers it. This may be what is happening to your site. To cure this first make sure your own browser is not set to Compatibility Mode which in effect can swap from IE10 back to IE7 IE8 or IE9 compatibility. To do this got to View -> Compatibility settings and make sure your website URL is not listed there.

Next CLICK F12 (Function Key 12 which is top row of your keyboard). This should bring up a console that allows you to change from IE10 to IE9/8/7/Quirks mode. It is meant for Developers to use, but it is a good indicator to the user which tells you instantly what Mode it is running in.

As for Moodle Themes and IE10 there should be little difference, but if there is then odds on your browser is running in compatibility mode.

If none of this is relevant than you can file it as a BUG in Moodle Tracker under Moodle Ad-ons.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by David Scotson -
I think Mary's right about the quirks mode, particularly for intranet sites it can suddenly decide to act like IE7 or IE8, so you should check that first.
In reply to David Scotson

by Richard Penhale -

Thanks very much for the suggestions I will look into them and see if I can work out a solution to the issue.

by Richard Penhale -

Just for info I’ve worked out the problem, the logon page was not running in ie10 compatibility mode, but once logged in it was. Reverting it back to ie10 browser mode once logged in using the F12 developer tools sorted it.

Thanks again,

Richard

by Richard Penhale -

compatability mode

It also looks that by default display intranet sites in compatibility mode was ticked.

by Mary Evans -

For some reason Intranet sites do that by default. There must be a setting on the server that someone needs to switch off. smile