Install problem with Book in Moodle ver 1.4.4+

Install problem with Book in Moodle ver 1.4.4+

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to Moodle  (3 months).

This A.M., I installed the Book Module into Moodle ver 1.4.4+ and also installed the en.zip language pack as recommended.  I followed the install instructions and moved book/lang to moodle/lang as instructed.  When I visit my site, http://www.glendalebc.showmechrist.com,  I get the following errors:

Warning: get_list_of_languages(/home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lang/lang/moodle.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2444

Warning: get_list_of_languages(/home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lang/lang/moodle.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2444

Warning: get_list_of_languages(): Failed opening '/home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lang/lang/moodle.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2444

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Clarence

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Install problem with Book in Moodle ver 1.4.4+

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

You have copied the language files to the wrong folder, moodle.php must be in /home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lang/en/moodle.php
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Petr, thanks for the prompt reply.

I moved the "book/lang" folder to  /home/showmech/public_html/glendalebc/lang/en/ and that fixed the error with moodle.php.  However, when I try to create a new "book" I get a 404 error when I save the initial configuration screen.

What did I do wrong this time?

Thanks,

Clarence

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Petr,

I must have installed the Book Module incorrectly.  I followed the instructions in the ReadMe file.  It said to move Book/Lang to Moodle/Lang.  I did that and you said it had to be in Moodle/Lang/EN.  So I did that and it fixed the Moodle.php problem but when I try to creat a Book, I go to: http://www.glendalebc.showmechrist.com/course/mod.php?id=5&section=1&sesskey=8WE12jUV19&add=book, and fill in the fields then submit it and it goes here: http://www.glendalebc.showmechrist.com/My%20Downloads/Moodle/book/book/mod.php  and gives me a 404 error.  I don't have a My%20Downloads folder in showmechrist/glendalebc.  Should I have or is this an error because it is improperly installed.  I think I will try reinstalling the whole Book Mod unless you have a better suggestion.

Thanks, Clarence

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Samuli Karevaara -
Clarence,

The instructions are slightly misleading. The text "move moodle/mod/book/lang to moodle/lang" might be more accurate if it said "move the contents of moodle/mod/book/lang to /moodle/lang".

You also have a "book" folder inside the "book" folder, I presume. Move the contents of the inner "book" folder to the upper "book" folder, so you would have for example a path like /moodle/mod/book/README.txt.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Samuli,

Thanks for the help, I finaly figured out that the instructions were wrong.  The Book Readme.html said to move book/lang to moodle/lang which leaves you with moodle/lang/lang.  They should say to move home/MyMoodle/mod/book/lang to home/MyMoodle.  If you do this, then home/MyMoodle/mod/book/lang will merg with home/MyMoodle/lang and all is well.

Also, I made the mistake of unzipping Book.zip on my computer then using Adobe Golive to FTP it to my site.  When I ran it through Golive, Golive  changed the links in Book and resulted in the 404 error I mentioned earlier.  I deleted the whole thing and reinstalled it using AceFTP and it worked fine.  I have the Book Module working now.

You can check it out at http://www.glendalebc.showmechrist.com.

Thanks,

Clarence