SCORM course will open in window but will not load

SCORM course will open in window but will not load

by Bryan Hill -
Number of replies: 13

We are running Moodle 2.4 and several users are not able to access a course we built in Articulate Storyline. The pop up for the course opens but the course never loads. The user is stuck with a grey screen. The error is inconsistent and we have been unable to replicate, but we are having it reported by about 10% of our users.

The issue is sometime system wide and sometimes just individual users.

The issue is not browser specific, it has occurred in IE, Firefox, and Chrome

Pop-ups are allowed in all users.

We worked all the way through support with Articulate who determined the issue is with our instance of Moodle.

The file works in SCORM cloud and on Articulate's instance of Moodle.

Our Moodle debug reports are included in the next post (i have to wait 24 after this post to post links).

I have Screencasts that i can share privately to anyone who assists with our issue.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

-Bryan 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryan Hill

Re: SCORM course will open in window but will not load

by KirK Chapman -

Hi Bryan,

Long shot... what about browser javascript settings for those 10%ers?

http://www.enable-javascript.com/ (helpful to my students)

Peace

In reply to KirK Chapman

by Bryan Hill -

I will know better if that is an issue once I can post my debug log. Thanks for the reply.

In reply to KirK Chapman

by Hanamantagouda Allipur -

Hi Kirk,

I am using moodle 2.2 trying to upload scorm 1.2 package But the course is not playing in moodle interface page showing blank.please find the attachment of screen shot.and do something needful.

Attachment coursepage.png
In reply to Bryan Hill

by Bryan Hill -

I will look into allowing Java, but the error is course specific. we have well over two dozen courses that run fine and two that do not.

Links to our debug files are here

http://pastebin.com/GMLZWbGW

http://pastebin.com/P2ySBjk9

In reply to Bryan Hill

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bryan,
you should take a look at the Moodle file pool to check if:

[dataroot]/filedir/71/3c/713c5c8e184a7a92a943f90fb08ce3ed18f404c6
[dataroot]/filedir/2c/04/2c04dcd80120ed3276ff1ecaa063297a5223bb19

exist and are readable by the user your web server is running on behalf of.

To identify what are the real filename, you need to search for e.g. 713c5c8e184a7a92a943f90fb08ce3ed18f404c6 in the contenthash column of the mdl_files table.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Bryan Hill -

Thanks for posting.

These files were present on one of our servers but not the other. Our servers were out of sync, so depending on what server the user was directed to, some of the course files were missing. We re-synced our servers and that fixed the issue for our current tickets. We were ready to declare victory, then we received a support ticket for the same error. 

We are investigating why it happened again.

Thank you for your assistance.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bryan Hill

by Stephan Sinka -

Bryan

Have you adjusted the Scorm Package settings in Moodle, specifically the the 'Disable preview mode' change to Yes;

This may be too simple a solution but I hope it works. PLease do keep us posted with your results.

Cheers

E

In reply to Stephan Sinka

by Bryan Hill -

Our display settings are the same for every course, but only two of the courses are not working. None of our courses have Yes for those questions. What would that change about our course experience?

Thanks for the reply

Bryan

In reply to Bryan Hill

by Stephan Sinka -

You  wrote " The user is stuck with a grey screen" and that made me think of the "display preview Mode". If you have a chance you can edit the course settings and see for yourself how it changes the user experiance. They can easily be reset. We are currently at that  testing stage using a development server with Moodle 2.3.3+. Our production server is 2.4.3+ and we are also using Storyline, so I'm eagerly listening to your adventure, hoping  you find a clean solution.

Best Wishes!

Cheers

E

In reply to Stephan Sinka

by Marci Araki -

Hi Ethan,

Thanks!

Your advice to try changing the settings worked for me. I was also getting an error where the SCORM course opened in a new window, but would then get stuck at a grey screen. In my case, the course opened for admins and instructors, but not students.

We're using Moodle 2.5, and Storyline too.

Marci

In reply to Marci Araki

by Tammy Brice -

Marci, did you find a solution for this?  I am having the same issue.  For admins there is no problem, however, for students, I am.

In reply to Tammy Brice

by Marci Araki -

I did find a solution - I ended up playing around with the Display Settings for a while.

I tried these settings that Ethan had posted above, and it worked.

Hope this helps!

In reply to Bryan Hill

by Sophie Ricci -

Hi, Was your issue solved ? Have you got some tips and tricks to share about that ? Thanks by advance. Sophie