Limit course asset visibility?

Limit course asset visibility?

by Sean Gale -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.5 
Ergo Theme

I'm trying to figure out how to best limit guest access to certain course sections or activities/resources.  The main goal is to offer *some* course assets as teasers.  I've got it working, sort-of.  But it's not really optimal for my needs.

I've added Guest access to a course, then I've gone into that course and prohibit the "view" guest role for certain assets.  This works fine, except it shows ALL assets regardless on the landing page.  (I'd prefer the prohibited assets be grayed out.)  The "guest" can click on ANY asset from here, but for those that are prohibited, it redirects them to a login screen. (Leaving the guest learner in the weeds and confused)

If I could limit guest access to certain course sections, that would work too.  But I don't see a way to set guest permissions at a section level.  

Does anyone have any experience here? and how did you go about setting up these "teasers" that serve both guest and student enrollable courses?

I'm thinking the cleanest way is to create my own course format, that can determine if the learner is authenticated as a guest OR un-enrolled student.  If these 2 conditions are met, then it displays hyperlinkable activities and resources for the first section only.  All other sections would show activities and resources as grayed out, with no links.

Your guidance is requested and appreciated here... Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Gale

Re: Limit course asset visibility?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Conditional_activities

You can restrict activities based on user profile fields, so you should be able to prevent guest users from accessing certain activities (or whole sections). You also have the option of displaying unavailable activities grayed-out, or totally invisible.

In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Limit course asset visibility?

by Sean Gale -

Thanks for the reply.  I can't seem to get this to work for the guest user.  I've tried userID and email address - but the filter doesn't seem to work for user guest.  It does for others, fwiw.