Help! Cannot log in - error writing to database

Help! Cannot log in - error writing to database

by Henry Foster -
Number of replies: 3

Nobody can log in to my moodle since yesterday. The email message I get is "Insert into log table failed at DATE/TIME. It is possible that your disk is full." I have tried backing up and truncating the mdl_log table to no avail. I tried using phpMyAdmin to repair the table, but got the message that "The storage engine for the table doesn't support r...". I assume the "r" is repair but can't display the whole message. The storage engine being used is InnoDB.

Any ideas of how I can regain access to my moodle? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry Foster

Re: Help! Cannot log in - error writing to database

by Henry Foster -

Issue resolved. My web host places automatic restrictions on databases that exceed 1 GB. I pared down the size of the largest tables (mdl_question_step_data, mdl_question_attempts, mdl_question_attempt_steps, mdl_log) by deleting the oldest rows, and my site is now functional again.

However, this will be a recurring problem. There is a lot of quiz activity on our site. Are there any settings that will automatically delete old quiz attempts after a given period?

In reply to Henry Foster

by Jim Peterson -

Can I simply use the TRUNCATE command on any or all of these table to reduce their size. We are on summer break, so there are no courses in progress.

In reply to Jim Peterson

by Peter Dorman -

We truncated mdl_log on our system earlier this summer after saving the data somewhere else.