Optional vs Auto subscription

Optional vs Auto subscription

Leonard Houx -
Atsakymų skaičius: 4

It seems that, out of the box, all Moodle forums default to optional subscription.

I don't understand this. Why wouldn't a student want to be able to receive notifications of a discussion they are a part of? More importantly, isn't it natural for a student to assume that when they post to a forum that their message is going out to the rest of their class?

I know that sometimes students and teachers get overwhelmed with the discussions going on in their course/class/group. But isn't that an enrolment problem? Shouldn't that person not be in the group then?

Somebody please help me out here.

Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į Leonard Houx

Re: Optional vs Auto subscription

Richard Oelmann -
Core developers paveikslėlis Particularly helpful Moodlers paveikslėlis Plugin developers paveikslėlis Testers paveikslėlis

Whoever is setting the forum up can change that option when they are setting the forum up - It has to be something by default and not everyone will be happy to leave it as the default setting whichever the developer chooses besišypsantis

Atsakymas į Leonard Houx

Forumo įrašas pašalintas

Forumo turinys buvo pašalintas ir jis daugiau nebepasiekiamas.
Atsakymas į Pašalinti dalyviai

Derek Chirnside -

This is a feature, not a bug Paul.

Students will only for this 10 or 20 times before they realise they need to read the screen.  I'm very suspicious of the word "inundated".  Just recently for one of my clients it was precisely 4 emails to create an inundation.

Some of what you describe could be managed with daily digest mails rather than per post (set in profile) or better course design.

I'm not sure about your "Low volume forum is not useful" comment.  I'd see it another way.  eg a help forum.

Managing emails for a course is an art.  No set of default settings will suit every case.

-Derek

Atsakymas į Pašalinti dalyviai

Leonard Houx -

Thanks for your responses, everybody besišypsantis Paul, I agree about that oddity of the optional subscription settings.

I guess the questions to me are: what should the average user expect? And what counts as annoying? Let's say you are an undergrad in a course with 15 other students and your course has a subject-based discussion. Is it annoying to get emails from other students who participate in the discussion or is that just actually participating?

Or, if, like you mentioned, Derek, a client says that they found four emails to 'inundate' them, is it possible something else has gone wrong (like your client's attitude)?

I have been enrolled in ALT's MOOC where over a thousand students were asked to introduce themselves and share their thoughts. Every single personal introduction was sent to me. Now, that, to me, is a good example of using subscription settings badly.