I followed Ken's instructions and got my Moodle 3.0 up and running.
I set up an XAMPP server and put Moodle 3.0 in ../htdocs/Moodle30. I got the "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete" screen. Something similar with E. At first I thought it might be a mySQL problem so I put in the port and socket in Moodle's config.php.
What worked was to physically delete the
I put this wonderful solution into MoodleDocs under XAMPP.
Note: I had Bitnami install a version of 2.3 on the same XAMPP server two weeks ago. It put Moodle in ../apps/moodle/htdocs and worked just fine.
Thank you Ken for the magic wand and for everyone else for asking the question.