Spell Checking Options in Moodle 2.5

Spell Checking Options in Moodle 2.8

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -
Number of replies: 0

Moodle 2.8

Hi, all, Craig, Mary and Tim

I would also like to use a spell check integrated into the moodle.  I tried and understand from your various forum threads that moodle's default spell checker does not work, and not longer seems to be supported.  I believe that the rationale behind this is that we can use the web browser's Spell Check As You Type functionality, so there is no need to have a separate spell checker for the Moodle text editor.   But, actually it is not the case for any of the web browsers currently available for mobile devices such as ipads and android tablets.

The reason why I need a spell check (wiggly red lines) within my moodle (on my server) is that the main devices my students use are android tablets and ipads.  Strangely, the mobile web browsers (including Chrome, native android browser, and safari on ipads) do not currently come with their own web spell checkers, which is very strange because the desktop versions of these browsers come with spell checkers.  Also, these mobile devices have spell checkers for device applications but do not work with websites/web applications (online text editors).

What I require is these red wiggly red lines  (not auto correction) when users make spelling mistakes.  With these red lines, students can learn they made spelling mistakes and learn correct spellings (self correction) as they practice writing.  It is a very useful function, as school teachers do not have enough time or do not correct kids' spelling in their homework nowadays.  With a help of my programmer, I have made a notepad application for my moodle, but I cannot enable the moodle's default spell checker...

So, I would appreciate it if anyone can help me install or turn on the default spell checker for moodle.  Detailed instruction is appreciated as I am not a programmer, and have a limited knowledge in coding.

Kind regards,

Noby