Appearance of tabs under IE

Appearance of tabs under IE

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can someone look into a little CSS problem for me?

Why does IE6 show a gap of a couple pixels on either side of the tabs?  (the top image is in Firefox, the bottom one is IE6)

Attachment tabs.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Appearance of tabs under IE

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
After way too much time-wasting, I fixed the gap, but now the text is set too high in the tab ...

Surely someone else wants to fix this for us  big grin

by John Papaioannou -
OK, it looks fine to me now. smile

Can I use this opportunity to complain about the non-CSS-mentality of the whole tab system? If my mother were to see me working with tabs implemented as two nested tables, she would take my keyboard away for a week. wink

PS: I think the graphics need to gain some height. Increasing the text size leaves blanks at the bottom of the tabs, and it shouldn't.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Jon! Looks much better now on IE and Safari approve , but now Firefox has the problems sad. See below ...

We tried at first using plain lists instead of tables but it always broke too easy. All the examples we could find were specifically hardcoded to particular situations, and have trouble with arbitrary number or sizes or styles of tabs as we have. The second table is to allow multi-rows of tabs. If someone can show me a way to make flexible tabs like this work on all major browsers I would be pleased to be rid of the tables!
Attachment tabs.png

by John Papaioannou -
Looks just fine with Firefox and standard theme for me... maybe it's some change that isn't merged into the moodleorange theme?

I admit that the first try I had with the tabs was to see if I could build them from a list instead of a table. However, I concluded that it's not possible to have tabs a) from a list, b) with as much eye candy as now, c) working identically across all browsers and d) with pure CSS. The issue could benefit from some discussion though, especially if Urs participates.

Unfortunately at this time I 'm swamped with exams coming up in a couple of days, so I don't have much time to spare. sad

Edit: (I just had a flash) The graphics! Give them some extra height!
Attachment moodletabs.png

by Martin Dougiamas -
Aha!  Brilliant - it's the font size on Firefox!

I've reduced the size (for everyone) and it works everywhere now!

THANKS JON!!!  approve  approve  approve

I owe you a big dinner when I come the UK next month!

by John Papaioannou -
You obviously have no idea what kind of money good food costs around here. But let's look at the bright side: it is likely that you will receive this information when fully sated and hopefully in an emotionally pleasant state. tongueout

by Samuli Karevaara -
Some "bad mouths" would say that you would have to import the "good food" to UK tongueout But beer is good there!
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by John Papaioannou -
In fact I am already importing as much good food as I can carry on each trip. big grin

However, it's true that for beers you can hardly do better than coming over to the "island" (Greek student slang wink).

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Jon and Martin,

"The issue could benefit from some discussion though, especially if Urs participates."

Somehow I participate in the tab discussion - silent here in the forums but active by trying to find a working solution.

I think the technique doesn't play that big role - the Moodle implementation is quite ok. The bigger challenge is to incorporate the tabs into the page. Tabs visualize layers lying one on another - so they communicate best when the page gives the imagination of "sheets" lying on another. The second tab row is especially tricky, because the whole picture should suggest two groups of sheets. The upper tabs need a baseline with the same length as the lower ones, otherwise they are buttons. They only have somehow the same visual appearance as the tabs.

For this tabbed page appearance the Moodle pages must be specially prepared. I did not find a satisfying solution yet sad You can see the actual state of my work in the theme "orangewhite".

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

I'll show you the new state of my tab work. The header part is looking quite well now - the impression of layered sheet levels works.

The active tab is visually flat with the active level and the other ones in the bottom row lie on the second level. The active tab of the second row is visually flat with the second level and the other ones lie on the third level.

To get the tab metaphor all-inclusive well the area sides should be included ...

Urs

[Urs CSS]

Attachment tabs_2005_04_05.png