Cannot connect: the site must use Moodle 2.4 or later

Cannot connect: the site must use Moodle 2.4 or later

by M Horn -
Number of replies: 28

I downloaded the official Mobile App on my Android phone and tried to connect to our test Moodle server running Moodle 2.4.4 (Build: 20130513), but received the error message: Cannot connect: the site must use Moodle 2.4 or later.

I have already checked "Enable mobile web services" under Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Web services > Mobile and have double-checked that the mobile web services automatically enabled all the necessary services.

Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Horn

Re: Cannot connect: the site must use Moodle 2.4 or later

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you look at #6 in Mobile Moodle FAQ it also mentions some sites using special authentication methods like Shibboleth, CAS or LDAP/SSO are currently  not supported - might that apply to yours?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eduardo Del Valle -

Hi,

the FAQ page you mention does not exist...

I am having the same problem, we use LDAP as our authentication provider and we are using 2.4.3+.

when connecting to the server, the authentication window appears and it has the spinner that stays there for ever.

Thanks,

In reply to Eduardo Del Valle

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I have LDAP on our test 2.4 install and the app lets me login with my LDAP details fine.

In reply to Dave Perry

by M Horn -

David - Which version of Moodle 2.4 are you currently running? (We're running Moodle 2.4.4 (Build: 20130513) )

In reply to M Horn

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

It's 2.4.1+ (Build: 20130118) - yes pretty old.

I was thinking of updating it, but maybe I won't now. Our plan in summer is to move to the latest 2.4 build at the time, I'll set up a latest24 installation later on (or maybe tomorrow now) and test the app against it.

In reply to M Horn

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Update - I've installed the same build version as you, and the app is connecting fine.

In reply to Dave Perry

by M Horn -

I upgraded from 2.3.3+ to 2.4.4. I think I'll revert back to 2.3.3+ and then go to 2.4.1 (or even just 2.4) and see if it works then.

If that doesn't solve it, then I have no idea what could be the issue.

It is quite frustrating that there isn't any debug/error code to work from to determine what the issue is.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by M Horn -

Thank you, Mary. The error message (re: site not Moodle 2.4) did not really point to non-supported authentication methods in my mind.

We do, however, also have Manual Accounts enabled under "Available authentication plugins" in Moodle, but I still cannot log on with a manual account user. (Same error message).

Does that mean that, because we have LDAP as one of our available authentication plugins, that no other authentication method (e.g. manual, email based etc.) will work, rendering the app useless (for now)?

In reply to M Horn

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I'm the main developer of the app, if you can create a non-privileged account in your Moodle server I can try to log-in and debug the problem

You can send me the user credentials and your Moodle site URL via a private message.

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Juan, it might be helpful if some of these ' why can't you connect' diagnostics could be built into the app? So you can find out what administrator settings need enabling. Probably including the 'can you access the site url' check, just in case someone's trying to access a site which is blocked by firewall.

Does the app facilitate connecting to sites on non-standard ports? I can't tinker with our live apache to find out myself (unless I want to get some grief from users anyway).

In reply to Dave Perry

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, we are getting a lot of negative review in Play Store because people try to use the app in any Moodle installation, and you know, it requires Moodle 2.4 and WebServices so people get frustatted because they can't connect and don't understand the reasons

I was thinking in a button at the bottom of the page like "Help! I can't connect" with some basic instructions

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

That is a good idea.

Is there a way the app could detect which version of moodle it's trying to connect to? That would be a nice message, e.g. "you are trying to access moodle site that is an older version than this app supports" - clear enough.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Guillaume Seraglini -

Hi,

I have the same issue. I downloaded the Moodle Mobile app for iOS to test and I have the same error.

I did the test on our test server, it has Moodle 2.4.2 installed. I enabled the mobile services option in Settings > site administration > Plugins > Web services > Mobile. It didn't work so I also enabled the same option in Settings > Site administration > Plugins >Web services > External services. And I also checked that the XML-RPC protocol was activated.

But nothing, I still get the error "the site must use Moodle 2.4 or later", but I'm using Moodle 2.4.2 so it should work, or at least not telling me to use Moodle 2.4 if I'm actually using it. I tried with a user using LDAP authentification and with another one using Manual authentification.

So if someone has any ideas, it would be nice.

Thanks a lot.

GK.

In reply to Guillaume Seraglini

by Jairo Martinez -

Hi, I am having the same message. I am using ANDROID´s smartphone and the server is update to Moodle 2.5

No way for connecting.

Thanks

In reply to Jairo Martinez

by Juan Leyva -

I just updated:

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Mobile_Moodle_FAQ#Moodle_Mobile_app_say_I_need_2.4_or_higher

Try to first Enable Web Services in Site Administration -> Advanced settings and then Enable Mobile Services

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jairo Martinez -

Thanks Juan, both services were previously enabled. I am using just EMAIL CREATION, MANUAL CREATION and NO LOGIN as authenticathion methods.

Site was just created for testing this new facility before migrating the operational one. Almost all all environement were defined by default.

No way to connect to server from mobile yet.

Thanks for your support

In reply to Jairo Martinez

by Juan Leyva -

Hi, very strange, in order to perform further investigations  I would need a user a password in your Moodle installation (just an user without any course enrolled)

If is ok for you, you can send me the user credentials and your site url via a private message.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jairo Martinez -

Thanks Juan, please let me know your email, mine is jamardu@aprendizajevirtual.org

Regards, Jairo

In reply to M Horn

by Jo Matthews -

I'm having the same issue authenticating with both ldap and manual accounts.

we're using v243. I downloaded the app for android. Enable web services for mobile devices is enabled

In reply to Jo Matthews

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Jo,

in this cases, I need access to your Moodle installation for doing some tests, if it's not a problem for you, I would need a user account in your Moodle site without any special privilege and not enrolled in any course.

If it's ok for you, you can send me the login information via a private message

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Arshad Hussanee -

Hi all, 

Anymore update i regards to this issue? We are running Moodle 2.5.3 - Iphone 5S login fine but but android Samsung note/S3 cannot. However, my android tablet asus transformer logged in fine. What going on there?

Shad

In reply to Arshad Hussanee

by stefan hoefler -

Maybe you can check via the chrome debug bridge which action is used by the login form? 

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Vani Bheemreddy -

Hi Juan,

I have the same issue, for both manual and ldap users. For security reasons, i cannot share a user account with you. Is there anything that I could do to test/analyse this issue myself? Probably some settings that are missing? BTW The webservices and mobile webservices are enabled. 

When I access the site from the app on andriod, it automatically changes to http. And after that i cant login. The error '..Unable to log in...Check the URL...The site must be moodle 2.4 or above...' is on these lines. I have moodle 2.6.

When the site is accessed from a mobile browser, I get a certificate issue. If i proceed anyway, I am able to login to it and view all the courses just fine, but this certificate prompt makes the user skeptical from using the site. BTW there is a valid certificate signed by a trusted certificate authority.  

In reply to Vani Bheemreddy

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

the app doesn't accept untrusted certificates (self-signed).

If your mobile browser displays a certificate issue, the app is not going to work.

You should change your site certificate by one trusted by the Android browser

Cheers, Juan

In reply to M Horn

by Fuchur Kool -

Hey,

I have the following problem:

When I'm trying to login to our moodle server with the Moodle app from Appstore, then there is no problem. But when I compile the Moodle App of  Juan Levya and try to connect with this, I get the error...

Any suggestions?

In reply to Fuchur Kool

by Fuchur Kool -

Sorry for the double post but here is some more information!

The problem seems to be the building process. I tried to build the MM Master build and get the same error. Also if I try to login using the test server provided by moodle.

What I do when I build the app with phonegap (online):

1) Upload Zip File

2) Build with signature key (Followed this tutorial: https://github.com/amirudin/build/wiki/Android-Signing)

3) Download the .apk 

4) Install it on my Samsung Galaxy S4

5) Start the app

6) Try to connect -> Error

Any ideas what might be wrong?