Moodle 2.4 Preview Certificate

Moodle 2.4 Preview Certificate

by Lynn MacDonald -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

I am new to Moodle, but an experienced computer user/programmer.  I selected a Moodle partner to set up an LMS for the company I work for and now I am working to customize some of the standard features.  This information is given so those who might answer know the level of their audience.

I am creating a custom certificate.  I have successfully followed the moodle.org instructions on how to do so.  I would like to see what the  result looks like, but I cannot figure out how to view a certificate without first having completed the course.  I see from searching the forum for this topic that at least some users/versions have a preview certificate option.  I do not see that anywhere in the Update Certificate Settings.  Please advise.

Thank you,
Lynn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lynn MacDonald

Re: Moodle 2.4 Preview Certificate

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Lynn

To preview a certificate you can create a new course in moodle and then add 1 or 2 activities in moodle and then certificate. Use restrict feature in moodle to get certificate means when a student get the above two activities completed he get a certificate. then try to download the certificate you will get your preview of it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Lynn MacDonald -

Thank you for your response.  I did as you directed, but when I click on the link to the certificate, it does not open a seperate window.  It takes me back out to the list of courses available; I think it is my home window. 

My address bar says the following when it has returned out from the course topics: ../mod/certificate/view.php?id=16

I have shut off the pop-up blocker on my computer.

Any further advice?

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Lyn

When you have click on the certificate link on the course page it will open with url like this ../mod/certificate/view.php?id=16 then you need to click on "Get your certificate' button on that page. can you post some screen what you are getting on the certificate page. If you choose a delivery method as "in new window" the certificate will open in a pop window with url something like this ../mod/certificate/view.php?id=16&action=get  . If it doesn't help Please try to Turn on the debugging at your site from settings > Site administration > development > debugging. Open the certificate again and see whether you are getting some error. and post it here

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Lynn MacDonald -

Thank you for your continued support for this issue.

The settings were already on "in new window", but no window opens.  You are just returned to your home page with a list of available courses.  The address on this page is as shown previously and does not have ...&action=get.

When I turn on debugging just before clicking on the link and shut it off after it goes out to my user home page, the log file reads:

[10-May-2013 13:22:19 America/Chicago] PHP Notice: The block groupdocs does not define the standard capability block/groupdocs:addinstance

• line 598 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to debugging()
  • line 576 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->has_add_block_capability()
  • line 236 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->user_can_addto()
  • line 1834 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->get_addable_blocks()
  • line 1007 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_add_block_ui()
  • line 353 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 6 of /theme/rsic/layout/general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
  • line 804 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 734 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 230 of /course/view.php: call to core_renderer->header()

in /home/radsafe/public_html/learning/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2904

Thanks,
Lynn

by Sakshi Goel -

Sorry Lynn i cant help you more bcoz i am not a developer so i cant exactly recognise your problem so you will get helps from other moodle developer.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Lynn MacDonald -

Thanks for the help to this point, Sakshi.

by Lynn MacDonald -

I think I have figured out a portion of the issue with my certificate not showing up.  When I click on any certificate, I get the following:

The block groupdocs does not define the standard capability block/groupdocs:addinstance

• line 598 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to debugging()
  • line 576 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->has_add_block_capability()
  • line 236 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->user_can_addto()
  • line 1834 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->get_addable_blocks()
  • line 1007 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_add_block_ui()
  • line 353 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 6 of /theme/rsic/layout/frontpage.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
  • line 804 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 734 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->header()
  • line 1430 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to call_user_func_array()
  • line 98 of /index.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
  • line 98 of /index.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->header()

I think things are going downhill because view.php is calling the wrong theme.  If I click on a scorm package or a lesson, the line that looks like 

• line 6 of /theme/rsic/layout/frontpage.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()

above looks like this

• line 6 of /theme/rsic/layout/general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()

Is it possible that calling the frontpage theme at this point messes up the rest of the operation?  If so, where do you set which theme gets rendered when you select a certificate?  I've been going through files and php databases trying to find where this is set, but I thought it might be quicker just to ask.

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Lynn,

The issue is with the groupdocs block not creating the capability addinstance, this capability was introduced in Moodle version 2.4. Please see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Blocks#db.2Faccess.php for more details. In short, you will either have to turn off debugging on your site (see http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Debugging on how to do this) so that the error message does not display or add this missing capability.

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Lynn MacDonald -

Hi Mark,

I somehow missed the notification that you had responded to my question, so sorry for the delay in thanking you for your help.  The Moodle instance we have is version 2.4, and I'm in over my head at this point, so I'm going back to the Moodle Partner who installed the LMS for us to look into it.

Thanks again,

Lynn

by Lynn MacDonald -

I thought I should post what happened here.  My issue was that the certificate file permissions were not set correctly.  I found it by going through the error logs and doing a bit more reading.