Student Portal Area for Moodle??

Student Portal Area for Moodle??

by Mark Outten -
Number of replies: 3

Sorry if this has been asked or if it's covered someplace else on this website.  I just didn't see anything that seemed to help me.

I am wondering if there is an add-on or something coming in future releases which may help me overcome a fairly easy issue to solve.  I'll describe it as specifically as possible:

1. First, I want to make all of our 6th thru 12th grades in our division a user in Moodle (easy for me to do).

2. Now, that helps me for when teachers use Moodle in their classrooms - well, sort of.....but....

3. I'd like to provide student email within the division.  That is, I'd like students to be able to email teachers only.  Not other students.  I could live with it if they could email anyone, including other students, but the preferred method right now is just teachers.  I would like this email to be irrespective of whether or not they are a member of a particular course in Moodle.  Just general email with a web front end. 

4.  Also, in a easy way, I'd like to have a file upload area irrespective of what Moodle course they are in.  Just a general file upload area.  Just nothing more than a web-based FTP.

5.  I'd like to do this with the Moodle sign-ons so that students are not a user on our server.  I'd also like to have it in Moodle so as to promote the Moodle experience to other teachers who may see it now when they didn't before.

6.  The end goal here hopefully is obvious - I'd like to have one spot for kids to save work and email teachers which they can get to from anywhere they may be.  I feel like I can't block Yahoo and Hotmail until they have something, but I also feel like there is plenty of reasons for us to block them right now (bandwidth issues being one).

Anyone have any ideas?  This doesn't seem like a tough issue to me.  I'm hoping someone has already solved it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Outten

Re: Student Portal Area for Moodle??

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We have something like this coming up soon with "My Moodle". It will combine an overview of one's own courses with custom blocks, blogs and so on.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Bob Gettings -
Any chance of getting some inside info on My Moodle?

We are thinking of filling the gap by making a simple php file that would be included in index.php "include_once ('mymoodle.php');" but it just a display of personal data - no blocks or personal configuration.

Anything in CVS about My Moodle yet? Could we check with whoever is developing My Moodle for advice or give some help?
In reply to Bob Gettings

by Martín Langhoff -
Penny and I have been posting to this forum talking about "my moodle" and "moodle portal". Search for it ;)

There are also links to our Arch repo showing our implementation, which is slated for 1.6 -- but you'll need some serious programming effort to get it going with 1.5.