Poor performance with Xampp local server (response time = 5")

Poor performance with Xampp local server (response time = 5")

by vouty - -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I installed a localhost on my laptop (Xampp, Windows 7 pro, ram 8Go, HD 700Go, processor AMD A8, moodle 2.4.3 , installation package) and response time is very poor

It's going much slower than a 2.2.3 moodle version installed on webhosting.

Each time I validate/cancel a modification I have generally to wait between 5 and 7 secondes (response time just after starting the website , Editing ON,  and mesures done on update same label /cancel updating several time)

Theme designer mode is off , Website has like nothing on it , and I don't know what to do .

What is the response time , am I supposed to have ?

Is it possible to improve performance ?

Do you think it would be better to uninstall 2.4.3 and to install a lower version  ?

Thank you for your help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to vouty -

Re: Poor performance with Xampp local server (response time = 5")

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You've got Xampp which is not optimised for production use on a desktop operating system, not optimised for use as a server. Does it matter? You would have to run some monitoring software and find out where the bottleneck is but I'm not sure it's worth all thr trouble for a test install.

In reply to Howard Miller

by vouty - -

So, Install, beside windows,  Ubuntu and Moodle 2.4.3 (LAMP) .

Time response on simple operations (loop on it : modicication- cancel- modification ...., measures on the 3d loop) are :

_ At least 4.5"

_ longer around 11"

Is LAMP working as slow as XAMPP or did I do a mistake when installing ( I followed instructions) ? This laptop is new and powerfull

Is it possible to improve response time  or is it the standard response time ?

If yes ,  how do people develop websites ?

Thank you to anybody for help ! ... I'd like to be in production ...

In reply to vouty -

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My experience is that the average time for a Moodle page to respond is in the order of 1 - 1.5 seconds. Some specific tasks can take much longer of course.

As I say, you need to work out where the time is going. Turn on MySQL slow query log. Watch 'top' while waiting for a response. Turn on 'Performance Info' in Site admin > Development > Debugging (and see what it says)

In reply to Howard Miller

by Chris Swaffield -

Howard, 

What types of numbers should I expect to see after turning on Performance Info? I'm running a LAMP setup with Moodle 2.3.x and I'm getting numbers ranges like this:

mem cache hits: upwards of 2300

get_string calls: upwards of 2300

disk cache hits: in the hundreds

reads/writes: hundreds/less than 10

ticks: upwards of 1500

times are varying from 17 seconds to over a minute.

Thanks for any advice.

In reply to Chris Swaffield

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I had a similar problem last week with XAMPP on a new notebook running Windows 8. The problem turned out to be related to the IPV6. It somehow automatically binds to the IPV6 address and the solution posted everywhere was to force it to bind to ipv4 addess, ie 127.0.0.1 . 

I couldn't get it going, and just installed WAMP instead and it works fine.

In reply to vouty -

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hallo vouty

You say:
> So, Install, beside windows, Ubuntu and Moodle 2.4.3 (LAMP) .

That was a fast reaction! How did you do it exactly? Your original OS is Windows 7 Pro you said. Did you install Ubuntu as dual boot, or did you install it in some sort of virtualization? In either case give more details.

> Time response on simple operations (loop on it : modicication- cancel- modification ...., measures on the 3d loop) are :
>
> _ At least 4.5"
>
> _ longer around 11"

That is completely illegible. Do you speak French (as a Canadian)? There are forums in all sorts of languages, check https://moodle.org/course/.

> Is LAMP working as slow as XAMPP or did I do a mistake when installing ( I followed instructions)?

Which instructions? Could you provide the links please?

> This laptop is new and powerfull

Yes, I've noticed. AMD A-8 with 8 GB RAM, did you say? Well it is not going to be the lase piece of hardware mishandled and crippled by all sorts of bad powers.
sad

> Is it possible to improve response time or is it the standard response time ?

Your are lucky. There is quite a number of people having the same opinion. Read
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Performance_recommendations and
http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Performance_recommendations.

> If yes , how do people develop websites ?

There is a misunderstanding somewhere. Moodle is a tool and a platform to produce and
deliver (educational) courses through the world wide web: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/About_Moodle. You should try the forum in your language first.