HotPot and autolinks

HotPot and autolinks

by Teemu Sumi -
Number of replies: 7
I don't know much about the code of HotPot module. Could it be possible to have autolinks to Glossary?

Teemu
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teemu Sumi

Re: HotPot and autolinks

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Teemu,
I would love to help but I am not sure how. Sorry for my ignorance.

--Gordon

In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi!
I am interested too in having the "normal" autolink routine work on Hot Potatoes exercices as on other resources & activities. Could we have this feature please?

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So for example, if the phrase "hotpot module" appeared in the quiz, it would be linked to a glossary when it appeared to the student?

Does the quiz module have this functionality?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes and yes! smile (If auto-linking is enabled but not required in particular quiz questions then <nolink> tags are used.)

If you implement glossary auto-linking in Hotpots, you may wish to consider enabling other filters. (Please check Administration >> Configuration >> Filters for a complete list.)

Thanks again for the Hotpot module! approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Gordon Bateson -
Wow, thanks for all the information everybody.

This "autolinking" certainly looks like a useful feature, and if it is available in the other modules, especially the quiz module, then implementing it in the HotPot module becomes a lot more feasible.

My current plans for development of the HotPot module are:
  • a non-javascript output format for the quizzes that will be suitable for use on mobile phones and PDAs (this development is underway)
  • autolinking (and other filters)
  • Flash players for the each type of Hot Potatoes quiz (due to be presented at the JALTCALL conference in June 2006)
  • Lite Flash players for each type of quiz (Lite Flash runs on a growing number of mobile phones). I am hoping these players will not be too difficult to develop after my experience developing the full blown Flash players
Aside from the above, I will also start work soon on a joint project (with some fellow Moodlers in Japan) to make Moodle more accessible on mobile phones, and I'm busy training to do a marathon in November too, so there's lots to be done smile

I'll see if I can get the autolinking done by Christmas. It would make a nice present for everybody!

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Gordon,

Your HotPot development plans sound great! approve (Please get in touch if you'd like any help with the Flash player.)

Best wishes for your marathon in November!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks for the kind offer of help with the Flash players Helen.
I'll contact you when the current busy patch has passed.

cheers!
Gordon