No editing once submitted?

No editing once submitted?

by Alan Brown -
Number of replies: 14

We have recently added the Dialogue for 2.4, however no matter what the "Edit Time" is set to, no editing of the post is possible. Once submitted, the only option available is to "type a follow up", so if mistakes are made, there is no way to correct them in the post at all.

In previous versions of Dialogue, this was possible. Please help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Brown

Re: No editing once submitted?

by Alan Brown -

Have double-checked with our archived Moodle 2.2 site. The edit link is completely missing in the new Dialogue, once submitted, whereas it was there previously.

Have also checked on various browsers - no difference.

This activity is ideal for our programme yet is unusable in its current buggy state...

In reply to Alan Brown

by Derek Chirnside -

Moodle 2.4 and Dialogue v 2012112900

I also get no edit button as below (and also no editing toolbar in the followup).

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hey Derek,

I have been playing with this module to see if I want to put it on my production site. I've noticed that if your profile is set wrong, by default you will not get the edit buttons.

Check your profile entry: When editing text > Use HTML editor,  to get the edit buttons.

If you have this: When editing text > Use standard web forms, the edit buttons are replaced by an option list of four items at the bottom left corner of the edit window: HTML Format, Moodle auto-format, Plain text format, and Markdown format.

Hope this helps,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

OK, I've checked this.  I had my profile set to Use HTML editor, and I still get no edit buttons.  I'm wondering if it is a theme theing, but I can't see how.  Just in case I'll switch themes briefly tonight when there is no-one on.

-Derek

In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

AL, just out of interest, can you please post what it SHOULD look like with the edit option.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Derek,

Sorry, I did not read emails yesterday and didn't see your request earlier. Here is how it looks from me the teacher and to my fake student account. It does look this way for all my regular students, too. I can close dialogues, they can't. We can both edit them. They have whatever time limit I set, and I have been able to edit, even after the time expires.

AL

From teacher.

from teacher point of view

From student

from student point of view

From student after edit

from student after edit

In reply to AL Rachels

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers

What versions of Moodle and the Dialogue module are you using AL?

In reply to Troy Williams

by Alan Brown -

It appears that the Decaf theme is the problem. Edit buttons and formatting toolbar do not show when one tries to edit their submission within the set time frame.

In reply to Alan Brown

by Troy Williams -

I have just pushed the fix to github for MOODLE_24_STABLE branch:

https://github.com/troywilliams/moodle-mod_dialogue/tree/MOODLE_24_STABLE

I will try get into the Moodle plugins db tonight.

Troy

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Troy - If you have not tried it, you may want to try using the Github file repository in Moodle. When adding a new version you have the opportunity to add the zip file but you can actually pull this from Github. The only trick is to allow it to rename the root directory to that of the plugin. This makes it really convenient to add new versions for folks using Github.com. Peace - Anthony 

In reply to Alan Brown

by Troy Williams -

Interesting… the block of code responsible for creating the "edit" link has not changed since Moodle version 2.0.x.

I have tried to replicate this issue but cannot.

Things to note about how the edit link is displayed:

• Only the owner, the person who creates the entry can edit that entry, unless a person who has "login as" rights logs in as the person who created the entry.
  • The edit time uses the timecreated field not the timemodified field in determining if link can edit entry.

Alan can you please supply info from mod/dialogue/version.php file + what browser/os you are using?

by Derek Chirnside -

Troy, please put this on hold.  I enabled category themes, switched to Standard and I get the links in the right place where AL's screen shot showed them.  I never really thought it could be a theme problem.

-Derek