Standard theme distorted in FF & Chrome but fine in IE10

Standard theme distorted in FF & Chrome but fine in IE10

by Dave Sanderson -
Number of replies: 14

My issue is that we did a fresh install of 2.4 and it looks fine in IE but looks strange in Firefox ad Chrome- the lay out is pushed all the way to the left. Would appreciate assistance. Works in IE just fine.

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Wednesday, 20 March 2013, 11:15 AM) Changed topic title after splitting from original discussion.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Sanderson

Re: Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Please test again using Standard theme. If you continue to have a problem with layout in other  browsers, then please report it in Moodle Tracker.

Many thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

by Dave Sanderson -

Thanks for the response. We have used the standard theme since day one. Tried to use an other but it did the same thing to IE that it is doing to FireFox and Chrome. So we reloaded Moodle from Scratch. IE 10 Works but nothing els.

Dave

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

hmmm - I dont have IE10, but have had Moodle2.4 running for sometime, in various sub-versions and it has worked fine for me in all browsers including IE8-9, FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari and a range of OS - Win, Mac, Linux.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Dave Sanderson -

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Mary is checking into it as we speak. Hopefully it is something simple we forgot.

Regards,

Dave

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In that case Dave, I would say without a doubt that there is something wrong with your site. Be it in the way you upgraded or the server, I'm not sure.

If you could send me a link to your site via the private messaging here I could run some tests, and let you know what could be the problem.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dave,

The problem you have is common on some servers. It all boils down to how you install Moodle. If you used a FTP client like File Zilla rather than your host companies control panel (cPanel), then this is where the problem stems from.

What has happend is that some of the PHP files have been corrupted, overwritten, or rather stripped of the formatting, and therefore rendered useless by your server.

The best way to fix this is start over again, but be sure to use the cPamel to upload the zip file and then extract it into your Moodle directory.

However before you do this check your root config.php and also the standard theme's config.php, it may just be more likely that these have been corrupted.

I hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

Further to my last comment here, Dave, you need to Purge all cache which will clear the cache on your Moodle site this will give then give you a view of the state of things in all browsers.  I suspect IE is seeing an original view of the site from the beginning, and not as it really is.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dave Sanderson -

OK

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dave Sanderson -

Mary our server settings:

Windows 2003 Server R2 sp2

PHP 5.3.22

MySQL 5.6.10

Dave Sanderson

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dave Sanderson -

Mary,

This from my ISP.

Dave

The install zip file was downloaded directly from their site to the server using IE and whatever means they used to deliver it (FTP or HTTP).

by Mary Evans -

So are you telling me Moodle was installed by your ISP?  If so there appears to be some errors. It's not usual to see IE working and other themes broken in in other browsers, if anything it is the other way round.

If possible can you get me access to the site with Admin premissions?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dave Sanderson -

Mary,

We did a fresh install of the latest 2.4 and it now works in all browsers. The only issue now is a curl when we try to check for updates. No error number just a curl error message. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Dave Sanderson

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Depending on what the error message actually says - the ones I was getting initially simply needed the correct directories in the moodle install opened to allow them to be written to by the webserver.

Richard

by Mary Evans -

CURL is a PHP extension and needs to be enabled by your ISP. If it is not present in your version of PHP then your ISP needs to add it.

http://php.net/manual/en/book.curl.php

Glad you sorted the browser problem out, that was scary!

Cheers

Mary