Groups & Groupings within the Scheduler tool.

Groups & Groupings within the Scheduler tool.

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Number of replies: 2

I've just read https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=213926 - I'm not quite sure if it's the same question as I have, or a slightly different one. 

I've experimented with the scheduler to let students select time slots for vivas. In order to share out the students, they're randomly assigned to a different tutor. 

The only way I could see for it to work was to create a group (all students assigned to tutor A), then to create a grouping (Grouping A = Group A); set up the scheduler - for tutor A (so just visible to Grouping A); set time slots & select Tutor A as the tutor. Then do the other groups. 

Clearly, as they're vivas it's only 1 student per slot. So, I want them to select their own time, but let the rest of the group (who haven't really got anything to do with them, other than randomly getting the same tutor!) choose their own.  

If you set  

Site Administration -> Plugins -> Activity Modules -> Scheduler -> Enable group scheduling to 'No', as suggested, can you still attach groups to scheduler? 

Or, can anyone suggest an alternative solution?

(The appointments were set for one person, but it seems that if someone clicks the 'group' you end up with two in the slot regardless.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

Re: Groups & Groupings within the Scheduler tool.

by Emma Duke-Williams -

... (or as many as there are in the group, I just had two in my test group!)

I've had another idea; this time I tried to create a separate block for each tutor, and make block A visible to Grouping A - then create the slots & assign teacher A to them all.

The drawback of that, as far as I could tell, was that then each tutor could see a list of everyone who's not signed up for a meeting, rather than just those in their group/grouping.

I'm wondering that was me selecting the wrong combination of groups/groupings/visibility in general? (I get a bit confused about when I just need to put students in groups & when I have to combine 1 or more groups into a grouping)

In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

Re: Groups & Groupings within the Scheduler tool.

by Mark Pearson -

Emma,

It seems to be that you're using Groupings in a sensible way to solve this problem. Have you tried making your tutors non-editing Teachers and then assigning one tutor per group/grouping ? That way they would only get access to the group that they are tutoring.