Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

by Mats Johansson -
Number of replies: 11

It is possible to hide Navigation or Settingsblock in a course by editing the block and by setting "On this page - Visible" to No. The block is greyed out end you can get it back by reversing the setting. But if you hide (in this manner) both Settings AND Navigation they seems to be forever gone.... You can´t get them back by adding a new block - those blocks are not there...

Anyone knows if you can hide these blocks in a specific course (we need to have a very, very clean inteface for some students with special needs) and with the option to get them back?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mats Johansson

Re: Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

by Christian Herman -

There's a couple of ways you can accomplish this depending on specific you want to be in your application

First, duplicate your existing student role and change moodle/block:view to prohibit.  I'll call this new role "special needs student".

If you want to hide all blocks from within the course you will enroll these students into the course using the special needs student role. Other studnets enrolled in the course with the standard student role will still be able to see and use all blocks in the course.

If you need other blocks visible in the course you can enroll the students as normal but assign the special needs student role to the navigation and settings blocks for each student in the course.  This is more labor-intensive but the most specific application since it will hide only those blocks for only those students in only that course.

In reply to Christian Herman

Re: Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

by Christian Herman -

Sorry, that was the long way around for the second option.  Scratch that and replace with this:

If you need other blocks visible in the course you can enroll students using the special needs student role.  On each block, click the Assign roles icon, then Permissions in the newly created block administration sidebar menu. Click the X next to Special Needs Student in the moodle/block:view section. This overrides the permission assigned by any applicable roles. If you need to, click the plus under the prohibit column to add the Special Needs Student role as specifically prohibited.

Svar: Re: Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

by Mats Johansson -

Thanks, this works perfectly (option 2).

In reply to Mats Johansson

Re: Svar: Re: Hiding (and getting back) Navigation AND Settings block

by lutfun shorna -

hi,

i dont to see navigation block on my home page. how is it possible to hide navigation block in homepage for all user?? also calender or other block i dont want to see..who has the solution answer me. thanks in advance.

nahar

In reply to lutfun shorna

by Christian Herman -

In the Settings block, go to Plugins > Blocks > Manage Blocks and verify that the navigation block isn't hidden.  There should NOT be a slash through the eye.

To permanently rid a course of other blocks, turn on editing in the course and click the X in the block header to delete it from the course.  You can do this to the Navigation block, too, but it's an ordeal to get it back.

by lutfun shorna -

sorry may be you dont get my question. i want to hide my nagivation block from my homepage?when one user like teacher,student and other can visit the site.i dont want that they can visit the block in my login page.if you have the solution kindly response to me.

by Christian Herman -

You're right; I don't understand your question.  Do you want to hide the navigation block from all users except the admin?  You will need to have navigation built into the main content of the site, since without the navigation block it becomes much more difficult to travel the site. 

Keep in mind that other users see slightly different options in the navigation block and  very differnt options in the settings block than admins do.

by lutfun shorna -

hi Christian,

your r right cause i want to hide the navigation block from all users except the admin? but the point is i dont to to see my navigation block in my front page .and if i hide the slash eye button for nagigation block the admin also cant see the navigation block in his admin pannel.but i want admin can visit his block inside the administration pannel but hide from site page.

i m not sure u r clear not not about my problem.hope some one have the solution.

thanks.

by Christian Herman -

Ok, you can hide it from all users except the admin.

Turn on editing on the frontpage and click the Assign roles icon on the Navigation block, then click Permissions in the Block: Navigation menu in the Administration block. Click the X next to every role in the View block section.  You could also add each role under the Prohibited column for View block, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

There's no way to hide the Navigation block from the admin on any page without deleting it from all pages, and you can't add the navigation block or its function to the Administration block without modifying the Administration block's code.

My opinion is that, to a reasonable point, the admin shouldn't be overly concerned with the appearance of his panel.  Access and function are more important.  As admin, I have several extra blocks that no other role can see.  If I want to see what a student's screen looks like, I have a fake student account I use for just that purpose.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by lutfun shorna -

hi christian, thanks again .ok i got ur point but the problem is i want to hide navigation block from front page for every user and i did it from block -manage the block and then i hide navigation block and i cant see any more the navigation blcok from my admin panel and also front page but till now my problem is if i hide the navigation block from admin panel i cant write any label for front page from my site option.

my final asking from you is i want no one can see my navigation block in front page but just admin can see the block inside his penal...is it possible or not? kindly tell me.

by lutfun shorna -

solve it...........smile thanks a lot.