Can a professor upload assignment on behalf of student

Can a professor upload assignment on behalf of student

by Eric Katchan -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, We are currently in beta upgrade for moodle from 1.9 to 2.3 and have received a comment from one of our beta professors regarding assignment submissions. 

// Begin quote from prof //

"Sometimes a student has problems uploading assignments to moodle so they email it to the professor or TA. I would like it to be simpler for professors then to upload the marked and commented assignment to moodle along with the original.

"

// End quote from prof //

I believe that the prof  uses the Log in as feature to upload the assignment on their behalf.  They are then forced to logout when they return to their old role, login again and proceed to add comments. 

anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Katchan

Re: Can a professor upload assignment on behalf of student

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - I have a comment - the "log in as" feature isn't normally given to editing teachers; it is usually only the admin who has this capability (there are privacy issues and depending on which country you are in this might cause difficulties with your establishment's policies) You can allow the "professor" role to do this if you accept that - the only other way is for the student to give the professor their password and that amounts to the same anywaysmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Damyon Wiese -

A teacher can upload the files as feedback for the student. It is clear that it was the teacher who uploaded the files and not the student, but teacher and student can still both see the files. 

(IMO this is better).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Shu Doi -

Not many (including me) are fans of Login as feature when it comes to a teacher uploading assignment on behalf of the student. Although there is a capability to activate this for teachers it is ticked off by default. This is because organizations don't want to give access to a student's account for reasons like a. teacher will be able to see all grades of the student from different modules even where the user is not a teacher b. etc.

In reply to Shu Doi

by Christine Healey -

As admin, I can use this feature. It's helpful when sorting out problems the student may be experiencing in using Moodle - I can talk them through what they are seeing in a phone call, for instance.

However, I have come across a situation where a teacher with 'login as' was tweaking the student's work and uploading it to assignments - cheating, in other words.