Can/should we sneak this in before the Beta?

Can/should we sneak this in before the Beta?

by John Papaioannou -
Number of replies: 7
Normally this should go to the Calendar forum, but right now I feel it's more appropriate here.

Every now and then, there are requests to allow editing events that were created as "repeating events" in one go. Right now, you can create identical events all at once, but after that you have to edit or delete them one by one.

Therefore I propose doing the following, and hope that it's not too late:

1. Add a column "int repeatid default 0" to mdl_event.
  2. When creating events, if they are not created as part of a repeat, keep repeatid = 0. Otherwise, query the database for the next unused value of repeatid and set that to all created events.
  3. Now it's trivial to know if an event was created as part of a repeat, and to also find all other events in that repeat group (only they share the same repeatid).
  4. In the "delete event" confirmation screen, if an event is part of a repeat, give the option to "delete all".

It's not difficult to think of other uses of repeatid: when moving an event in time, move all other repeat instances by the same amount of time; when editing the event title, update all repeat instances with the new title; same for description; same for changing the duration.

All this won't take much time to do. Votes? Vetoes? wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Papaioannou

OTP: Re: Can/should we sneak this in before the Beta?

by Ray Lawrence -
Jon, I'm not going to respond directly to the question of whether this should/could be in 1.5. Just to say this would be a most welcome addition to Calendar functionality.

Ray

Re: Can/should we sneak this in before the Beta?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
All those Outlook users expect it to be there, my +1 wink

You know me I always do cause delays...

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Yes Jon, +1
Please, just do it if you have time/will. If on time for 1.5, cool, if not, an early addition to 1.6. 

- Enrique -

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Go for it but be quick  smile   We have stacks of bugs to fix yet!  
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Was that quick enough?

by John Papaioannou -
Done! big grin

You now have the option to delete or edit all events in the repeating series, or just the one you clicked the icon for. What I like best about this is the unobtrusive IMHO way you get to choose what to edit.

Enjoy!