Please develop a print function from the grade book !!!

Please develop a print function from the grade book !!!

by T Boyd -
Number of replies: 12

Hi, many teachers need to print a grade report/summary report for their courses. Every gradebook I have ever used has options for various types of print reports. 

Please make print options for teachers, from the Moodle grade book.

That is the main reason I have avoided using the Moodle grade book for many years. But now that I am using more and more auto-marking assignments/quizzes, I would like to use the Moodle gradebook, and not duplicate my efforts elsewhere (Engrade, Intergrade, etc.).

If there is a print function that I am missing, please let me know.

Thanks,

Troy Boyd

In reply to T Boyd

Re: Please develop a print function from the grade book !!!

by Bob Puffer -

I actually appreciate the fact there's no print function from the Moodle gradebook.  I'm afraid my faculty might use it and we'd be back to the days where there all kinds of paper copies of grades floating around, the college would get sued, we'd end up being own by someone else who doesn't appreciate what we do -- its a slippery slope.

We encourage our faculty to export their grades to a Google spreadsheet, very secure, no paper, no emailing copies around, kept forever.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bob, just curious is that export to Google Docs something automatic (an option aside from ODS or XLS) or do the teachers needs to export then upload?

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Bob Puffer -

For our instructors its automatic because we have a tight integration between Moodle and Google so we can use a service account to send it to their Google Drive.  As its offered in plugins and my github, its a csv.

In reply to T Boyd

by Bob Puffer -

I actually appreciate the fact there's no print function from the Moodle gradebook.  I'm afraid my faculty might use it and we'd be back to the days where there all kinds of paper copies of grades floating around, the college would get sued, we'd end up being own by someone else who doesn't appreciate what we do -- its a slippery slope.

We encourage our faculty to export their grades to a Google spreadsheet, very secure, no paper, no emailing copies around, kept forever.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Chris Chapman -

thats all very well but the export looks awful!

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Bob Puffer -

I'm at a disadvantage there because we use the LAE Grader report which has a different export tailored to instructors wanting to do calculations.

In reply to T Boyd

by Jacqui Riding -

Nurses who do our courses sometimes have to prove what they have finished within our course and what scores that have against each activity. The best way to get this info is via the gradebook. Having a print function would be awesome as the student could just print it off and not bother admin to try and get them something "official" looking.

In reply to Jacqui Riding

by Bob Puffer -

IMO this would be a lot of effort with little additional value given the proliferation of free screen capture extensions for browsers that will capture scrolling screens.  My current fav is Webpage Screenshot for Chrome.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by David McCarthy -

Agree there are ways to print off a screen with various utilities and plug-ins, but they are workarounds and no substitute for a properly formatted printed report.

We need to print out an individual's results at the end of their course.

We are using Moodle in a commercial environment, and our students expect more than a screen print. In fact, our first student has just completed our first course. We're all pleased with what we've been able to achieve with Moodle ... pity it's less than great in one or two areas.

We use a number of other apps which have reports for individuals and groups ... all have a print facility. Moodle needs it too.

In reply to David McCarthy

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

David, you might check out ELIS, I believe that addon for Moodle offers a transcript which might get you what you're looking for.  

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by David McCarthy -

Thanks Joseph - had looked through plugins, but didn't see that one - will check it out.

In reply to David McCarthy

by Bob Puffer -

Another option is to crowdfund development of a report or hire it done.  I don't see it being on anyone's agenda otherwise.