TaskChain on test site not working

TaskChain on test site not working

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 33

Hi Gordon,

I tried adding TaskChain "The Equilibrium Concept" on http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/24/course/view.php?id=2

When I hit preview, it is blank.

Here is what I did.

I uploaded a zip file containing two HotPots and some images. After unzipping I pointed to the first HotPot as main file. Then I edited the chain with usual >= 90 for next task with a same task condition and similar for the second HotPot with end of chain.

It is called the equilibrium concept.

Thanks,

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: TaskChain on test site not working

by Jeff Finnan -

I think I know the reason. It does not like the keypad at my keypad.

I made a new 2.4 Moodle site and tried the TaskChain. I got this error:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Unknown method called against mod_taskchain_attempt_hp_6_jquiz_xml_renderer :: TC_keypad_char_value

Now the HotPot by itself works fine in this Moodle.

Next I uncheck the keypad which has those very helpful Lucinda sans unicode super- and subscripts. When I uploaded this HotPot into the chain, the chain started fine.

Later,

Jeff

PS. For those new here, I use a keypad with super- and subsript numbers that make it possible to type in C4H10 and Na+ in a HotPot. Gordon set this up for me. Otherwise, for chemistry the HotPots are only so useful.

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi All,

I put up a TaskChain that has two HotPots in it without the keypad codes at the test site and at mine as well. The Taskchain appears to work fine except if I stop after the first quiz. When I go back in it says start a new chain and I am back to the first quiz.

I have the TaskChain set at force resume with no free access and unlimited attempts. I thought that would be the correct setting.

Something I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jeff,
looks like you have been busy on the testing site - thanks!

There are quite a few TaskChains on that site now (see screenshot). Which one are we talking about?

regards
Gordon

Attachment Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 12.45.48 AM.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Jeff,
assuing you are talking about "Equibrium Concept - No KeyPad", the first quiz has a post-condition requiring >= 90% in order to progress. Did you actually complete the quiz with a score of 90% or more?
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

The Equilibrium ones are mine. Yes, I did get greater than 90% and then it advanced me to the next quiz. Then I stopped and backed out. When I restarted it, I brought me to the first again.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS. The first equilibrium is the one that gives an error from the keypad.

by Jeff Finnan -

I just put in a shorter version of the first HotPot that indicates what the answer is for each one should you want to test it out. Equilibrium questions can be tricky.

Thanks,

Jeff

by Jeff Finnan -

I have my Trial Example on Gordon's 2.4 site. It is just a couple of simple math problem quizzes. When I finisht the three-question first quiz and leave the page after it progresses to the second quiz, it comes back saying start new chain attempt instead of going directly into the next quiz.

What I have done incorrectly?

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,

I have seen your post and I am investigating. Please give me another day or two ...

Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I saw you had a new version of HotPot out May 4. I did an upgrade. Still have the problem on my 2.4 test site.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Eric Villard -

Hi,

I ran into the same issue using a quiz with special chars.

I opened a report here https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-4506

and send a pull request on github providing a fix.

The issue came from a misspelled method.

Best regards

Eric

In reply to Eric Villard

by Jeff Finnan -

<<<same issue using a quiz with special chars.>>>

Hi Eric,

Mine use some Lucinda sans unicode super- and subscripts. Gordon set this up for me a few years ago so that I could have students input proper formulas via the keypad.

Sure would be nice if this could be solved. When I get some time I will try some simple Jquizzes with no such characters.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Eric Villard -

Hi Jeff,

I encountered the unkown method TC_keypad_char_value issue on spanish courses that use special characters.
I can only confirm the issue on JCLoze and JCross activities.

The problem came from a misspelled method : TC_keypad_char_value was called instead of taskchain_keypad_char_value.
But as this method is called in the main HP renderer (./attempt/hp/6/renderer.php), the fix should resolve the problem for all hotpot activities using the keypad.

The fix is available here https://github.com/eviweb/moodle-mod_taskchain/tree/fix-CONTRIB-4506 if you want to give it a look.

Best regards

Eric

In reply to Eric Villard

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks Eric and Jeff,

I have fixed this issue in TaskChain. Please download the latest version, when you have a chance

regards
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I tried this on  2.2.4 and  2.5.1 Moodle installations. In both cases, if I finish on Jquiz and then exit out and re-enter, it asks to start the whole TaskChain again the same as always. Bummer. I use that simple two-quiz TaskChain (Trial) that I have one your 2.4 Test site. I tried to go on your test site. It is not loading at the moment.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Just for the heck of it, I installed a new Moodle, 2.4.5+. I get the same problem.

Interestingly, I am also getting some windows popping up when I go in to edited the tasks. See attachments.

Attachment 7-27-2013 8-54-04 AM.png
Attachment 7-27-2013 8-54-16 AM.png
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Jeff,
thanks for the continuing feedback ... and your great patience.

I have finally made time to take a good look at the "force resume" issue you reported for TaskChain, as well as a couple of other issues concerning compatibility with Moodle 2.0 (especially on PHP 5.2), and Moodle 2.5. I believe I have fixed all the issues I found.

Most importantly, I have fixed the issue (bold statement !) of students not being "forced" to resume even though the settings indicate they should be. Please could you download the latest version of TaskChain and check that this functionality is now working as one would expect.

best regards
Gordon

by Eric Villard -

Hi All,

I'm just testing the last version, thanks to all of you.

It seems the last commit has corrupted the tasks and chains edition feature.
Tested on Moodle 2.4.4+, PHP 5.4.17RC1, Nginx 1.1.19, MySQL 5.5.32 on Ubuntu 12.04.2.

I've got this error message after clicking on the update icon of a task chain activity : 

Fatal error: Call to undefined method mod_taskchain::available_cms_list() in (...)/mod/taskchain/edit/form/helper/chain.php on line 704

And the following one after clicking on the update icon of a task :

Fatal error: Call to undefined method mod_taskchain::available_outputformats_list() in (...)/mod/taskchain/edit/form/helper/task.php on line 138

This issue comes only after the last commit is applied.
I am still investigating and I'll keep you informed about what I'll find.

Do you encounter the same problem ?

Thanks

Eric

In reply to Eric Villard

by Eric Villard -

ok,

I've found the problem.

There were still mod_taskchain static calls that were never caught and forwarded to the mod_taskchain::__call magic method.

A fix is available here : https://github.com/eviweb/moodle-mod_taskchain/tree/fix-static-calls, if some of you can review the code.

Eric

In reply to Eric Villard

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Eric,
yes, I confirm there was a problem there for a brief while, but it is fixed now.

Thanks for offering the patch. I'm afraid I didn't see it till just now, and since the new code is already in place I don't think I can use the patch. Sorry about that, but thanks for your hard work.

Please download the latest version when you are able. The error messages regarding static calls to "available" functions are fixed, and there are host of other improvements too.

The latest version, which I have labelled "BETA" stability, is version 2011040126

It has been performed well with chains of simple Hot Potatoes exercises on Moodle 2.0 through to Moodle 2.5. There are no outstanding issues that I know of. However, the module is still missing some reports and the backup/restore functionality. I believe that goal is now within reach

regards
Gordon

by Eric Villard -

Hi Gordon,

the new version was published while I was looking for a solution, so i missed it ;)

I've just installed it and I confirm it solves the static calls issue.

So I can go on my discovery of Taskchain...

thanks

Eric

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Not quite there yet.

Sunday I made a new Moodle 4.5.1+ and even uninstalled HotPotatoes and reinstalled it on my PC so that everything was clean. I just upgraded Taskchain. I remade my three-question JQuiz and a duplicate of it. Set a Taskchain with these two with a 90% to go to the next task or end of chain.

In the student role, when I get less than 90%, it recycles as desired. Upon achieving 90%, it goes to the second task. The second recycles if less than 90% per usual. If I back out here and go back in, a blank screen occurs other than the right-hand navigation pane being normal.

If in my normal role doing the above, it comes up with preview activity anew. Also, when I go into view chain attempts and try to delete them I cannot. If I go back in with my normal role and preview again and complete the TaskChain, I can go back to student role and now can startthe TaskChain again. The blank screen did not occur.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the detailed explanation.

> Moodle 4.5.1
Wow, you're well ahead of the game there wink

If you get a blank screen, please enable Moodle debugging (Administration -> Site administration -> Developement -> Debugging: Debug messages = Developer, Display debug message = YES) and try again. You should get an error message displayed which will tell us where to look for problems.

cheers
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Yeah, in my rush to get something up I did some transposing. It is 2.4.5+.

Okay, no errors show up. In developer mode every page says "purge all caches" as a blue link.  In "All" nothing shows whatsoever.

And if I have it show performance data in student role with blank window get:

0.637154 secs RAM: 62MB RAM peak: 62.4MB Included 673 files Contexts for which filters were loaded: 1 Filters created: 2 Pieces of content filtered: 1 Strings filtered: 0 get_string calls: 931 strings mem cache hits: 0 strings disk cache hits: 1257 DB reads/writes: 69/2 ticks: 64 user: 55 sys: 5 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 3.51 Session: 12.5KB Caches interaction by definition then storecore/databasemeta** static persist **: 29 / 22 / 0cachestore_file: 22 / 0 / 0core/string** static persist **: 783 / 474 / 0cachestore_file: 474 / 0 / 0Total Hits / Misses / Sets : 1308 / 496 / 0

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

OK, thanks for extra info Jeff.

I will try to reproduce the white page on my local server, and let you know how I get on.

regards
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Thanks. If you ever want access to mine, let me know.

Jeff

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

It's me again asking about the white page? Is it just me?

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

HI Gordon,

I was just playing around again. If I make a TaskChain with just one simple HotPot in it with no conditions and back out of the it before completing it, the white page occurs. If on first try I complete the HotPot and go back in I can retry and back out as many times as I wish. This is all as a student.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the extra info. I'm a bit busy at the moment getting ready to take students on a trip, but I hopefully I can find time next week.

If possible we need an error message. If you enable Moodle debugging you may see a PHP error message instead of a white page. Alternatively, if you look in your browser's javascript console, you may see an error message there.

regards
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Earlier I had turned on debugging with no errors showing. When I turn on the javascript console, I see errors on just about every page or operation. Nothing jumps out at me as directly related to the problem. I am not much capable of interpreting the information.

Enjoy the trip.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the extra info. Could you copy the (long) list of Javscript errors, paste them into a text file, and attach the text file to your next post to this forum.

thanks
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I cleared the console in Firefox just before clicking on the Taskchain that gives the white screen where I am in "student" role.

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,
as you say those errors are all about CSS, so there are no clues there. Hmm ...

I changed some of the logic in TaskChain which decides what to display when an attempt is "in progress". I think it may fix this issue you reported. Please could you download the latest version when you have time, and let me know if it helps.

regards
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hal-le-lujah!

Looks like it is working. Even put it in another Moodle installation and seems to work there too with my simple two-HotPot TaskChain.

Thanks Gordon.