Changing color of block header

Changing color of block header

by Ivica Matotek -
Number of replies: 30
Picture of Testers

Hi!

Does somebody can help me with problem; I would like to change the color of each block header so that each block header has different color. Can somebody tell me how I can do that? I have tried to put in core.css part:

.block_navigation header {

background #fff;

}

But there is no effect.

Thank you.

Ivica

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivica Matotek

Re: Changing color of block header

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

The reason you are not seeing the changes could be because of something you are doing wrong, like the way you write the CSS, or the fact you have not enabled Theme Designer Mode.

The CSS you posted is actually wrong. It should look like this...

.block_navigation.block header {
        background-color: #fff;
}

Then you can do that for each block that has it's own class selector name...

.block_settings.block header {
        background-color: #abc;
}

but some blocks like HTML blocks all use the same class selector name, so in this instance you would need to add the instance id like so...

#inst93.block_html.block header {
        background-color: #901;
}

and like this...

#inst1033.block_html.block header {
        background-color: #890;
}

You can find the 'instance' ID in the page source code. In Moodle it is this for the settings block...

<div id="inst182232" class="block_settings block hidden" aria-labelledby="instance-182232-header" role="navigation">

So the code for this would be...

#inst182232.block_settings.block

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

Hi!

I have put server in course design mode, and using Magazine theme, and I have changed color of all block heading in part of core.css in section .block div.header , and I have written on the bottom of core.css:

}

But color of header of block navigation is not changed.

Ivica

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's because there is an image in the block header. Dark colours show through it better than white as it is already a pale shade of grey.

Try this...

background-image: none;
}

That should fix it.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

I'm sorry but there is no change.

Ivica

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think the issue may be caused by the fact that in Magazine that background colour and image are written in 'shorthand' ie that the whole background is set in one css rule (in my copy on 2.4 its on line 333 of core.css)

background: #eeeeee url([[pix:theme|bart5]]) repeat-x;

I have made this work by commenting out that line (as you obviously have access to the files) and then adding the following to the bottom of the core.css file

.block_navigation .header {
background-color: red;
}
.block_settings .header {
background-color: blue;
}

Which gives the colours as seen in the screen shot attached. Mary has already given you the directions for applying different colours to different blocks and what is needed where several blocks of the same type are included (e.g. html blocks)

Hope that helps

Richard

Attachment 2013-02-18_1422.png

by Mary Evans -

There was an error in the code I forgot to add a . infront of header so it should have been .header

Anyway try this instead...

.block_navigation.block .header {
background: none;
}

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Jeff Vas -

Hi Mary,

How do we change the width of .block_navigation.block .header ?

it overlaps with the dotted lines.

Thank you very much.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Vas

by Mary Evans -

If the Navigation block header only is not displaying correctly then there is something wrong, as all headers are styled the same, so if one is out of line, then all the others will be too, so this is a theme problem, rather than an individual block.

If you can tell me the name of the theme I will have a better understanding of the problem.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jeff Vas -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your response, I'm using the magazine theme of Moodle 2.4, all the blocks overlaps on the vertical dotted lines/div and that's the way it was defined, 

I would like to reduced the width of all the blocks so that it doesn't overlaps on vertical dotted lines/div

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Vas

by Mary Evans -

As far as I can see on our QA Moodle test website there are no vertical lines in the Magazine theme. The only dashed line I can see is the horizontal line beneath the header.

http://qa.moodle.net/?theme=magazine

In reply to Mary Evans

by kanchan Paras -

how can i change the color of block heading area when it docked ?

Thanks

In reply to kanchan Paras

by Mary Evans -
In reply to Mary Evans

by kanchan Paras -

Thank you Mary!! 

One more help i need. Is there any way to fixe the blocks as docked for front page for all the users?  Doesn't want student to bring them down on front page. For other page they will be free to play around from blocks.

thanks in advance smile!

In reply to kanchan Paras

by Mary Evans -

You can hide the blocks on the frontpage if you want to. Just edit each block in turn and make it 'hidden' on the frontpage.

In reply to Mary Evans

by kanchan Paras -

no!! i need to keep them as docked on front page. becsue when i am not using course catalog and in that case blocks are creating empty space in center zone of main_content. so alternatively, i can dock blocks on front page to overcome this issue.  

Attachment FrontPage.PNG
In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Hi Mary, I don't want to bother with this but I've been trying to change the background color in the calendar block (the blue band) without any success. I modified the codes you shared but I had no luck.
In the index of the site the instance ID is inst35 but in my personal page it seems to be inst12. I'd like to change it to #f98012 (orange) because I have many blue blocks. This is the code I tried, is anything wrong about it? Thanks in advance for any tip or suggestion!

#inst35.block_calendar_month .header {
background-color: #f98012;
}

#inst12.block_calendar_month .header {
}
In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Hi Miguel,

You did not say which theme name & version or Moodle version.

Some themes are coded wrong so may be you need to Purge all cache for it to work.

Also I would have thought that this CSS would have worked for both:

.block_calendar_month .header { background-color: #f98012; }

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Hi Mary, thanks a lot for your reply! I'm so sorry, I'm quite new in this forum and I completely forgot the details. I'm using the Aardvark theme (beautiful) on Moodle 3.2.1.
I tried the code you gave me and purged all cache but still doesn't work :\

Thanks again, Mary!

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Let me test it on my server and I will get back to you later...OK?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Of course, that's very kind of you Mary. Thank you very much!

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Ah...it's the Aardvark theme CSS for blockicons. It is styled via the header title h2 heading so you will need to use this CSS instead.

.block_calendar_month .header .title h2 {
    color: #fff;
}

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Thank you very much Mary, but I had not luck. I'll continue digging into this and I'm sure that sooner or later I will make it work (and I'll post it here, maybe it could help somebody else). Thank you very much for showing me the right track! smile

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

I GOT IT TO WORK ON MY WEBSITE!

http://vle.bylazydaisy.co.uk/?theme=aardvark

I also have docking blocks too!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Wow, that's weird! I did it again, saved the changes and cleaned all cache too. Check it out. Maybe a permission problem? :\

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Looks like your site is still in Maintenace mode...

Este sitio está en fase de mantenimiento y no está disponible en este momento

This stops the database from storing new data...so the changes are not registering.

Turn OFF Maintenace Mode and try again?t

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Oooh sorry about that, it seems that you visited the site while I was doing some changes. With maintenace mode disabled, I deleted all the custom css, saved the changes, purged all cache. Then, I added the custom css again, and still doesn't work. I don't think it's de css code, it's like moodle doesn't load it at all. It looks like this right now:

Custom CSS

It's a shared hosting (there are a lot of folders I don't have access to), I don't know if it has anything to do with this issue. Maybe there's a permission problem, no idea. I also used Mozilla's developers tool and if you go to the CSS tab there's a lot of code being skipped. And... I tried adding a "footnote" but it doesn't load either. I don't want to bother you with this anymore Mary, it's more help than I ever expected, thank you very much for that.

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

I am fixing some problem with Aardvark for Moodle 3.2 as there are some layout issues with the three column pages, especially if only the page had left blocks and main content but NO right hand blocks, then the page is all distorted! If you removed the summary block off your sites frontpage then you will see the problem.

The CSS is something else and could be a Moodle issue. There are lots of things being changed in Moodle that relate to the Boost theme, but these changes may be affecting Bootstrapbase...but I am not sure as I am not that familiar with Moodle core development.

I'll continue to take a look at your site and see if I can solve the issue there.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Mary Evans -

Hello again,

Do you know which version of Aardvark that you are using?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miguel Fabo -

Hi Mary, thank you very much for all your efforts, I understand the situation. My version is theme_aardvark_moodle32_2016081900. Thanks again!